Old 2010-06-10, 03:25 PM   #44
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Maximal, No More
Airdate: 23 November 1997
Written By: Patrick Barry
Japanese Title: I Quit

SYNOPSIS
In the Maximal base, Dinobot ponders about the Golden Disk, observing that Megatron's plan proceeds, even without the disk. Dinobot ponders his fate, and whether he is betraying his Predacon heritage. Optimus Primal interrupts, ordering him for a survey mission, and Dinobot puts his thoughts aside for now. Dinobot rides vehicle-mode Rattrap into Predacon territory, and they are ambushed by Inferno and Quickstrike. The Maximals have the upper hand until Silverbolt arrives and gets shot down by Waspinator (yes, you read that right). Silverbolt crashes onto Dinobot, knocking them both out. The Predacons retreat with the unconscious Dinobot, but Rattrap manages to take out Waspinator and rescues Silverbolt.

At the Predacon base, Megatron is eager to chat with his former subordinate. After a scuffle, Dinobot offers to change sides. He convinces the Predacons to prove his loyalty with a challenge. Quickstrike is selected as an opponent and they both get ready to battle. Meanwhile, Rattrap sends the injured Silverbolt to inform Optimus while he goes off to track down Dinobot.

After a brutal face-off, Dinobot soundly defeats Quickstrike. Megatron orders Dinobot to finish off Quickstrike, but Dinobot refuses on the grounds that Quickstrike is an able fighter. Megatron accepts the excuse, but demands that Dinobot return the Golden Disks. The Alien Disk is still with Rhinox, but Dinobot takes the Predacons to where he had hidden the original Golden Disk.

Rattrap, not aware of Dinobot's betrayal, tails the Predacons when he sees them. Dinobot takes the Predacons to where he had hidden the Golden Disk and returns it to Megatron reluctantly. Megatron is about to attack him when Rattrap arrives, shooting Megatron. However, Rattrap is in turn attacked by Dinobot. Megatron orders Dinobot to kill Rattrap as a final test of loyalty. After a long moment of hesitation, Dinobot turns his sword towards Megatron, telling him that his ambitions are insane and will destroy both the Maximal and Predacon races. Optimus and Silverbolt arrive on the scene, forcing Megatron to retreat.

Dinobot confesses his treachery to Optimus Primal. He had foolishly believed that he wanted to share Megatron's victory, and now resolves to fight with the Maximals until the end. Optimus leaves the decision to Rattrap, who, after several insults and angry outbursts, allow Dinobot back among the ranks.

Featured Transformers: Dinobot, Optimus Primal, Rattrap, Silverbolt, Inferno, Quickstrike, Waspinator, Megatron, Tarantulas, Blackarachnia

REVIEW
(Nine out of Ten)
Okay. Face it. Dinobot ruled the second season. From his amazing monologue in 'Coming of the Fuzors Part One', Dinobot's character builds up nicely, giving him much more character development than the rest of the cast. For the few episodes that he was spotlighted in, Dinobot never disappoints with his dry wit and honour-related monologues. Most spectacularly, this characterization ties in with the main plot of Beast Wars, especially that of Season Two, what with all the speeches about destiny and the ever-mysterious plot devices. I suppose I'd better quit before I say any spoilers. Anyway, Dinobot's betrayal back to the Predacons is a believable plot twist. After all, the whole reason why he defected to the Maximals was because Megatron led them to the wrong planet. It flows smoothly from previous episodes. While it's no big surprise when he refuses to gun down Rattrap, it's still excellently scripted.

It's not just Dinobot, though. Rattrap is well-done as well, having warily trusted Dinobot after the events of the first season, only to have himself betrayed. Megatron suffers a little, but his vaudevillian tendencies are still charming. Guys like Waspinator and Inferno get themselves some nice scenes as well. The events of this episode has an impact all through season two, though. Dinobot's defection would lead to the events of 'Code of Hero', while the jamming tower directly leads into the Vok two-parter. Hints are dropped about Megatron's master plan, seen in the season finale. Why, yes. I'm being vague. Sue me. Anyway, this is a perfect installment in the Beast Wars series. A self-centered episode following on the events of previous episodes and building up to future ones.

NOTES
Lots of foreshadowing about Megatron's master scheme and the whole reason why he had traveled to the past. Without giving any spoilers, Dinobot claims that Megatron's plans will destroy Maximal and Predacon alike, and 'all who came before'.

In Dinobot's quarters, the scalp of Clone One is hung on the wall.

Dinobot observes that the Predacon installments match the locations of the Alien Disk, foreshadowing the events of the next episode.

When Rattrap does that 'computer vision' visor thing as he tracks Dinobot, there is a wedge of cheese in the bottom corner. Cute.

Starting from this episode, the other Maximals would start to doubt Dinobot's allegiance, or be wary around him at least.

GOOFS
At one point, Waspinator doesn't have stripes on his abdomen.

The animation of Dinobot's beast mode's skin fluctuates in quality throughout the episode. At times it's like normal, but at times it looks as if it hadn't been finalised. Well, the YouTube resolution might factor, but still...

Quote, Unquote
Inferno: "Stand your ground, traitor!"
Dinobot: "You're on my ground, insect!"

Waspinator: "Waspinator not serve. Waspinator rules! Hehehehehehe!"

Rattrap: [tricks Waspinator into knocking himself out] "Eeeh, I love that guy."

Megatron: "Inferno, aid Quickstrike."
Inferno: "Yeeees, my queen."
Dinobot: "I was... not aware you had given yourself a new title."
Megatron: [hurriedly] "The ant has some faulty programming."

Dinobot: "Your ambition has made you insane, Megatron. It will destroy both Maximal and Predacon... and all who came before!"

Rattrap: "You can't trust him, and he smells bad. Then there's the teeth. You ever seen him eat?"

Last edited by Blackjack; 2010-10-16 at 02:38 PM.
Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote