Old 2010-06-24, 12:57 PM   #48
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Code of Hero
Airdate: 9 March 1998
Written By: Ian Weir
Japanese Title: Farewell

SYNOPSIS
At the Maximal base, Dinobot meditates in his room, turning the blade around. After a moment, he throws it aside, growling in frustration. Meanwhile, Rhinox has been calculating the path of the transwarp wave from the Planet Buster’s destruction. Rhinox states that the transwarp wave is traveling through time at an accelerated wave, and will reach Cybertron in the ‘present’, alerting Cybertron to their location in space-time. Optimus Primal is afraid that Megatron has discovered the same thing and decides to increase their defences.

In his bad mood Dinobot nearly fights Rattrap who teases him about turning over the Disk to Megatron. The two walk off, disgruntled at each other. Dinobot reflects that his past actions cannot be undone, but they may be mitigated. He then heads out of the base. Meanwhile, Cheetor finds Megatron and Rampage moving suspiciously, but is driven off. Cheetor reports the sighting to Dinobot, who says that he would follow the Predacons.

In his lair, Tarantulas is about to eat an antelope when Dinobot suddenly bursts out of the ground, demanding to know the information on the Golden Disk. Tarantulas claims that he doesn’t know, saying that Megatron kept the Disk on his person at all times. Dinobot holds Tarantulas at gunpoint and uses the transmetal as his ride.

Megatron lands on a proto-human village, scattering them away. Rampage mocks Megatron, saying that the Maximals will soon arrive from Cybertron, and says that he’s looking forward to Megatron’s death. Megatron replies that this would only happen if history remains as it is. Megatron explains that the Golden Disk contains images recorded in the future.

As a demonstration, Megatron shows a picture of a mountain in the Golden Disk. They see the same mountain, and Megatron orders Rampage destroys the mountain. After a moment, the image on the disk changes to reflect the altered timestream, much to Megatron’s delight. Dinobot, having observed this from a distance, realizes Megatron’s full plan, which is to change the future.

Megatron explains that the proto-humans there would evolve into the human race, and would help the Autobots win the Great War, which would in turn lead to the Maximals to rule over the Predacons. Megatron summons the rest of his troops, ordering them to destroy the valley and all the proto-humans there, to ensure that the human race would cease to exist. Dinobot is engrossed at the display, allowing Tarantulas to get the jump on him. Dinobot squashes the spider under a rock, before contacting Optimus Primal.

Optimus orders him to maintain position, but Dinobot knows that there is no time. Dinobot says that he is ready to face his destiny. Dinobot moves in, attacking the entire Predacon army single-handedly. While he defeats all the Predacon goons, he loses all his weapons and suffers a lot of damage. His systems warn him repeatedly that he must enter stasis lock to survive, a command that Dinobot overrides.

As all the Predacons are knocked out, Megatron confronts the damaged Dinobot, gloating over his imminent victory. Dinobot lunges at Megatron, but Megatron uses a proto-human hostage to make Dinobot halt. However, Dinobot is still a warrior at heart. Stealthily creating a makeshift weapon from a rock and a wooden stick, Dinobot knocks the Disk out of Megatron’s hand. With his final energy, he blasts the Golden Disk with an optic blast.

The Maximals arrive, and Megatron escapes, lamenting his failure. The Maximals gather around Dinobot, but it is too late to help him. Optimus assures Dinobot that he has saved the lives of millions, and Dinobot exchanges a final round of insults with Rattrap. Dinobot tells the Maximals to tell his story truthfully, both his good deeds and the bad. With that, Dinobot dies. Rattrap leads the rest of the Maximals in a salute as Dinobot’s spark leaves his body, and Primal wishes that it would go into the Matrix to join Cybertron’s finest.

The next morning the Maximals hold a funeral for Dinobot. The fliers soar through the air in a missing man formation, while Rattrap and Rhinox dissolve Dinobot’s remains. Meanwhile, at the valley, a proto-human finds Dinobot’s hammer, and uses it to fend off a giant snake.

Featured Transformers: Dinobot (killed), Optimus Primal, Rhinox, Rattrap, Cheetor, Rampage, Megatron, Tarantulas, Waspinator, Inferno, Blackarachnia, Quickstrike, Silverbolt
Notable Others: Protohumans

REVIEW
(Ten out of Ten)
”The rest is silence.”
The technical errors aside, this episode is wonderfully done. The dialogue is perfect, with Dinobot’s Shakespearian quotes being wonderfully done, and Megatron’s master plan not disappointing the audience. Dinobot’s heroic last stand is a little clunky, but is memorable. Megatron, Dinobot and Rattrap are all simply wonderfully characterized in this episode, and the function of the Golden Disk is revealed. ‘Code of Hero’ is one of those big event episodes. Rattrap’s another well-characterized one, with his biting remarks nicely complementing Dinobot’s silent ruminations. I like how Dinobot seems to be contemplating suicide in the first scene.

Dinobot’s death might be one of the few heroic, memorable deaths that is memorable to me (another notable one being Scorponok’s original death in the Marvel comics). Megatron’s mockings of Dinobot, as well as the anguished cry of ‘I was soooo close’ when the Maximals arrive, are simply fantastic. In season two, Megatron is starting to build up into a proper mastermind, with his own distinctive poise and style, from the goofy serious villain in the first season, and the brutality against the proto-humans is one of the best examples of it. Sure, you don’t see dismemberment (this is a children's show after all) but the trees burning and everything, with dead bodies… it’s definitely more mature than G1. This is one of simply the best episodes in Transformer lore. Kudos to the voice actors and animators for this excellent episode.

NOTES
First appearance of the proto-humans. The final appearance of Dinobot and the Golden Disk. The last appearance of Rhinox’s beast mode, amusingly enough.

Dinobot’s infamous last words ‘the rest is silence’, are taken directly from Shakespeare’s Hamlet. When he initially leaves the base, his line ‘a deed, once done, cannot be undone’ is a misquote of Shakespeare’s ‘what is done cannot be undone.’

Megatron’s master plan is finally revealed, with him using the Golden Disk to change history. Killing the humans would probably mean that the ancestors of the Witwickies and people like Chip Chase would be killed. He had apparently not shared this plan with anyone. Instead, the others thought that he was merely looking for energon (Dinobot in the first episode)

Rampage crushes a butterfly as the Predacons enter the valley to destroy the humans. This might be a reference of the short story ‘a Sound of Thunder’ by Ray Bradbury, in which a time traveler steps on a butterfly and drastically changes the future of humanity.

When Rampage aims his cannon at Dinobot, the POV seems similar to the gun-barrel viewpoints from James Bond movies.

Silverbolt, Cheetor and Optimus Primal fly in the missing man formation. In a bit of foreshadowing, three birds fly past Dinobot’s window in the beginning.

Code of Hero is the first episode that was directed with storyboards (done by series writer Bob Forward), instead of being directed on-the-fly. The series’ writers admitted that they did Dinobot’s death since it seemed to flow with the story, and to prevent more characters from being shoved off abruptly (like Terrorsaur, Scorponok, Tigatron and Airazor), so Dinobot gets the ax.

GOOFS
The door of Dinobot’s quarters is noticeably smaller than Dinobot himself. This is because the CGI model of the Maximal base is made at a different scale to the character models.

When Rattrap is working at the wall panel, his right forearm is backwards for a scene.

When Dinobot laments about Megatron’s power being limitless, Megatron and Rampage could clearly be seen on the cliff behind him, implying that Dinobot is out in the open, exposing himself in front of both Predacons.

As Quickstrike approaches Dinobot, his left lower leg is backwards.

Rattrap is in his original pre-Transmetal body at Dinobot’s funeral. Bob Forward said that he could not believe how the production team (who had viewed the scene nearly a hundred times) could miss the error.

Quote, Unquote
Rattrap: "Yeah? Funny, y'know not much changes around here… except maybe the occasional allegiance. Find any Golden Disks lately, hmm? Pass them on to any Predacons?"
Dinobot: "I don't need to explain my actions to you, mouse!"
Rattrap: "Yeah, that's right, you don't cause they pretty much speak for themselves."
Dinobot: "Go ahead, rodent. Push one more inch."
Rattrap: "You know, I used to figure I had you pegged. 'Oh, yeah, he's a slag-spoutin' saurian, but at least you know where he stands.' Guess we live and learn."

Dinobot: "The rodent's words give off the stench of truth. Destiny is one great test in store for us all. Has mine already come and have I failed it? A deed once done cannot be undone, but perhaps, it may yet be mitigated."

Dinobot: "The question that once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own. And yet, how ironic... for I now find that I have no choice at all! I am a warrior... let the battle be joined."

Megatron: "One lonely turncoat, battling on against impossible odds. I'm almost touched! Fortunately, such moments pass quickly."

Quickstrike: "What's a warrior without weapons, eh?”
Dinobot: "A warrior still!" [defeats Quickstrike]

Megatron: "Hmm, my ears are burning! Yesss! Why, Dinobot, what a delightful surprise! Let's see, where are we now? I have the Golden Disk, I have the power to change the future, and the only obstacle in my path to unimaginable glory... is yourself. Exhausted, damaged beyond recovery. Defeated."

Megatron: “I WAS SOOO CLOSE!”

Optimus Primal: "Well fought, my friend. You saved the valley. You saved the lives of those who live here... and of those who are still to come."
Dinobot: "Then... there is nothing to regret."
Rattrap: "Like I said, you're just a blasted, slag-spouting saurian, but... it's nice to know where you stand."
Dinobot:"Upwind of you, for preference, vermin. ...Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."

Optimus Primal: "He lived a warrior... and died a hero. Let his spark join the Matrix, the greatest of Cybertron."

Last edited by Blackjack; 2010-10-16 at 02:41 PM.
Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote