Old 2010-07-25, 09:17 AM   #51
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

The Agenda (Part 2)
Airdate: 12 March 1998
Written By: Bob Forward
Japanese Title: I Do Love You

SYNOPSIS
After the events of last episode, the Maximal prepare to hunt down the Predacon troops. Optimus Primal summons Silverbolt and confronts him about Blackarachnia. Silverbolt argues that Blackarachnia was originally a Maximal, but Optimus doesn't want to hear it. He confines Silverbolt to his quarters and dispatches Cheetor to hunt down Blackarachnia.

In his cell, the imprisoned Megatron chides Ravage for siding with the Maximals. Ravage responds that Megatron is nothing compared to the original Megatron. Megatron offers a stash of energon as a bargain, but Ravage reveals that he already knew about the energon stash, and proceeds to tell Megatron that Lieutenant Tarantulas is a Predacon secret police.

Cheetor apologizes to Silverbolt for being assigned this mission, but Silverbolt tricks Cheetor and knocks him out. Rattrap sees this and raises the alarm, forcing Silverbolt to flee. Some time later, Cheetor and Optimus fly to where Tarantulas had told them the energon stash was. They find that the energon crystals stored are unstable, and is guarded by Inferno. The energon build-up had driven the non-Transmetal Inferno crazy, and he ignites the energon crystals. The Maximals escape, but the cave collapses, and Inferno is seemingly incarcerated. The Maximals report this to Ravage.

Silverbolt manages to find Blackarachnia, who is following Waspinator with her hover-pod to a mountain. Silverbolt begs for Blackarachnia to come with him, but Blackarachnia shoots the Maximal. Silverbolt points out that it was non-fatal, and that the Predacon does care for him. However, the hover-pod they were in slams onto Waspinator, blowing him into pieces. Silverbolt saves Blackarachnia from the fall.

Meanwhile, Megatron still tries to bargain his way out from Ravage. Megatron points out that Ravage has no intention of letting the Maximals or Predacons stranded on Earth survive. Ravage admits this, and prepares to execute Megatron. Megatron then desperately tells Ravage that he had another motive for stealing the Golden Disk, something which could affect the Great War. Ravage laughs, noting the Disk's destruction, but humours Megatron anyway and releases his bindings. Megatron reveals that a fragment of the Disk still remain, and plays the message encoded in the Disk that Ravage will believe. Namely, a message from the original Megatron, leader of the Decepticons, during the Great War. The original Megatron had left instructions in the Golden Disk for his descendants to travel back in time to ancient Earth. Although the message cuts out, the sight of his former leader convinces Ravage to release his Predacon namesake.

Meanwhile, Silverbolt and Blackarachnia have discovered that Megatron had been there before, discovering that a tunnel had been drilled through and resealed with rocks. The two bicker for a bit as they clear away the rocks blocking the tunnel. Optimus Primal and Cheetor return to the Maximal base. Rattrap warns them a little too late that Ravage has switched sides. Ravage's ship looms behind the two Maximal fliers, with Megatron riding on top. Ravage transforms, and begins an attack on the Maximals...

To be continued...

Featured Transformers: Optimus Primal, Silverbolt, Megatron, Ravage, Tarantulas, Cheetor, Rattrap, Inferno, Waspinator, Blackarachnia, G1 Megatron (recording)

REVIEW
(Seven out of ten)
The plot thickens. While the whole Inferno scene seems to be padding, the rest of the episode is splendid. Silverbolt and Megatron steal the spotlight, with the former's blind love and the latter's smooth-talking being some of the best-scripted scenes in Transformer lore. Silverbolt actually helping out with Blackarachnia's scheme is a little unbelievable, though. However, love is blind, no? Yes, the scenes are rather cheesy, but it feels natural. The interrogation between Megatron and Ravage lends to the more 'mature' feel of Beast Wars, with plotting and back-stabbing going on. The introduction of G1 Megatron as being the one who inspired BW Megatron (and seemingly who BW Megatron named himself after) is a nice touch as well, again cementing Beast Wars as part of the original cartoon.

However, there's no mistaking that this episode is merely there to get everybody in place for the big finish, so plot-wise not really much happens. However, this leads to better character development, and a more natural feel to the progression of the plot. Inferno's batshit craziness is portrayed well, even though his scene is basically padding. There is a nice cliffhanger, excellent dialogue, plot twists and nods to G1 fans. It's not bad, but there's a lot hanging for the finale where Megatron's plans would be revealed to us. It's a nice build-up, but it can still fail with the third part.

NOTES
First appearance of the original G1 Megatron in Beast Wars. The show creators intended for Frank Welker, his original voice actor, to voice Megatron. However, scheduling and payment conflicts prevented this from happening. Garry Chalk provides Megatron's voice instead.

Ravage transforms into his original Cassette alternate mode, with the transformation sound effect used in the original cartoon series. Bob Forward intended for the original cartoon theme song to play as Ravage transforms and begins his attack. However, due to copyright matters this idea was unfeasible.

Inferno was seemingly meant to be killed off this episode, considering how the show creators use the 'kill them all and sort it out later' approach with the season finales. Most noticeably, Inferno's head was shown disintegrating during the explosion. However, at the beginning of season three Inferno is fine, if a little beat-up.

Quickstrike and Rampage are apparently still out of commission after being brutalized last episode.

Optimus has a little trophy of a gorilla on his desk.

Silverbolt mimics a police siren when he asks Blackarachnia to 'pull this vehicle over'. He later breaks the fourth wall by referring to himself as a 'heroic character'.

Amusingly, a toilet is seen among Waspinator's parts as he's smashed into pieces.

Ravage uses Dr Evil's raised-pinkie gesture when preparing to execute Megatron.

GOOFS
Why didn't they use the stable energon in Tarantulas' lair (mentioned in 'Tangled Web') or those gathered by the Maximals to power Ravage's shuttle instead of going off to find a new stash?

Silverbolt punched his hand through the door to get at Cheetor, yet the door still opens without a problem. Having pieces of metal protruding out shouldn't let a door stay flat against the wall.

Why would the original Megatron not tell Ravage about the secret message on the Golden Disk?

Quote, Unquote
Rattrap: [Silverbolt escapes] "Ah... I used to be young like that."
Optimus Primal: "What?"
Rattrap: "Duh, yeh. I mean, we got trouble. Oh yeah, trouble with a capital B."

Silverbolt: "I know how you're feeling. You don't know whether to kiss me or... kill me."
Blackarachnia: "I'm a black widow spider, you idiot. I can do both."

Blackarachnia: "You're not saving my life again? Even after I shot you?"
Silverbolt: "It's my duty, ma'am, as a Maximal and as a heroic character."
Blackarachnia: "You know I like them big and stupid, but you're really pushing it."

G1 Megatron: "This is Megatron, leader of the Decepticons. And if you're hearing this, it means I've failed. This time."

Waspinator: "Not fair. Waspinator minding own business when bang! Gets whole stasis pod right up the kazooty."

Last edited by Blackjack; 2010-10-16 at 02:45 PM.
Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote