View Single Post
Old 2010-09-14, 10:24 AM   #57
Blackjack
Micromaster

Cutting Edge
Airdate: 15 0november 1998
Written By: Ian Weir
Japanese Title:Beast Wars Metals: Convoy's Great Transformation! (Released as a movie special in Japan)

SYNOPSIS
The tribe of protohumans led by the one that wields Dinobot's hammer are walking through a jungle. They are attacked by a gigantic Cyber-raptor that drives them off with laser optics. Two children, Chak and Una, hide and are separated from their tribe. Optimus Primal and Silverbolt arrive and drive off the raptor. They take the kids back to their base, where Rhinox deduces that the cyber-raptors are made by Predacons. Optimus Primal assigns Cheetor and Blackarachnia to return the kids back to their tribe, a decision that Silverbolt is not entirely pleased with. After the two leave, Rattrap (who has been spying on Blackarachnia's activities) tell Rhinox that Blackarachnia has taken something from the classified area of their base.

As Cheetor and Blackarachnia slowly trek through the jungles, Cheetor and the kids fool around, much to Blackarachnia's annoyance. A cyber-raptor attacks, and in the resulting battle damages Cheetor's flight engines after he tries to impress Blackarachnia with a grandstanding maneuver. They also find that their radios are jammed, so they are on their own. In the Maximal base, Optimus Primal and Silverbolt likewise go out to check out their ersatz team members. Megatron, meanwhile dispatches a whole squad of Cyber-raptors, Waspinator and Tarantulas to eliminate the two Maximals. Both Maximal and Predacon teams arrive on Blackarachnia and Cheetor's position and a full-out battle ensues. Tarantulas uses his new gun and blasts Optimus Primal, causing him to lose his mind and sing around. Meanwhile, Blackarachnia intercepts a blast meant for Chak and Una. As the Predacons seem to have the upper hand, the hammer-wielding protohuman jumps to help, damaging the backpack on one of the Cyber-raptors. With this knowledge the Maximals easily destroy the raptors and defeat the Predacons.

Meanwhile, Megatron leads the rest of the Predacons on an assault on the Maximal base. After using Quickstrike to spring the exterior traps, Megatron leads Rampage and Inferno to claim the Ark. However, the unexpected arrival of Depth Charge turns the battle in the Maximal's favour. Meanwhile, Cheetor's group deliver Chak and Una back to their tribe. Unseen by the other Maximals, Blackarachnia smuggles some hardware from the Cyber-raptors. Cheetor congratulates Blackarachnia on her heroic actions, but Blackarachnia disses Cheetor off, walking off with Silverbolt. Cheetor sighs for being treated like a kid. Meanwhile, Megatron considers using the technology from the Cyber-raptors with the half of Rampage's spark...

Featured Transformers: Cyber-Raptors (killed), Silverbolt, Optimus Primal, Rhinox, Rattrap, Blackarachnia, Cheetor, Megatron, Inferno, Tarantulas, Quickstrike, Rampage, Waspinator, Depth Charge
Notable Others: Hammer Protohuman, Chak, Una, Protohuman Tribe

REVIEW
(Four out of ten)
The protohuman kids are irritating and uninteresting, and Cheetor being tired of treated like a kid is one of the character threads that's been trite since Season one. The cyber-raptors are rubbish as well, reeking of G1's "weapon of the week" and Tarantulas' unexplained inclusion among the Predacon ranks is uncharacteristically bad continuity among the writers. Also, Cheetor's puppy love at Blackarachnia is laughable in execution. Quickstrike's dialogue this episode is hilarious, though.

There are some good bits of storytelling here, though. Cheetor's upcoming upgrade and whatever it is that Blackarachnia and Megatron are up to respectively in future episodes are foreshadowed upon, while Silverbolt being overprotective to the point of na´veness is believable. Rattrap being suspicious is true to character as well. But the foreshadowings hardly make this episode as good as the others... the bits with the protohuman kids drag on the episode for far too long.

NOTES
The first appearance of recurring characters Chak and Una, the closest Beast Wars would have to children sidekicks. The protohuman with Dinobot's hammer (I'm going to call him 'Hammer' for review purposes) also reappears. Also, this is the first (and only) appearance of the Cyber-raptors, which are of course modified CG models of Dinobot's beast mode.

This episode foreshadows the chain of events that would lead to the "Feral Scream" two-parter. Cheetor being insecure and being tired of treated like a kid, as well as Megatron creating Cyber-raptors, and Rampage's spark. Blackarachnia's pilfering of resources would be explored upon in later episodes as well.

Megatron quotes Shakespeare's Julius Caesar in his line "cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war".

This is the second time Megatron had attempted to clone Dinobot. It would not be the last. Megatron's little obsession with creating a loyal and competent Dinobot is... disturbing, to say the least.

GOOFS
The big one is, of course, the fact that Tarantulas is somehow working under Megatron's command. Before and after this episode Tarantulas has always worked on his own after being revealed to be Ravage's agent.

The first Cyber-raptor that Blackarachnia and Cheetor fight wanders off and doesn't turn up in the final battle (only the three raptors dispatched from the Predacon base appear), and where it runs off to is not made clear.

Quote, Unquote
Rattrap: "Call me paranoid, but I don't trust Preds, I don't trust spiders, and I don't trust dames who sneak in and out of classified areas when they think nobody's watching."
Rhinox: "What are you saying?"
Rattrap: "Nyah! I'm saying that our little spider chum-" [Silverbolt enters] "-is a credit to her web-spinning species and I don't know what we ever did without her."

Blackarachnia: "Guys. Oh, they're only young once, but they can act juvenile forever."

Blackarachnia: "Oh, great. I get stuck with the one cat in the world who lands on his head."

Megatron: "Quickstrike, you may lead."
Quickstrike: "Yeah! That's what I like to hear!" [charges in]
Inferno: "Royalty, why was I not chosen?"
Megatron: "Because, Inferno, when expecting booby traps, always send the boob in first."

Blackarachnia: "Listen, tabby, you're a nice kid-" [Silverbolt approaches] "-which is two strikes against you, so don't go looking for strike three, okay?" [walks away with Silverbolt]
Cheetor: "I'm not a kid. And maybe I'm not so nice, either."

Last edited by Blackjack; 2010-10-16 at 02:53 PM.
Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote