View Single Post
Old 2010-10-29, 08:49 PM   #14
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
So, yeh, I'm working with references from two other series that can reasonably be compared that I've seen, and am simply asking whether Transformers has an unusually high number of animation errors. And as a sub-question, I'm pretty curious as to whether many other shows of the era have obviously different art styles in the way Transformers does with Toei (was it Toei?) and AKOM.
Definitely. Probably the easiest example to point out is a little outside of our scope here (as far as being in the 1980s), but it's one of the most obvious. Batman: The Animated Series, had a handful of episodes animated by AKOM. The artwork was very bad, animation choppy and with some layering and coloring issues. AKOM was actually fired for their shitty work there.

Other examples of AKOM's awfulness can be found in Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, and Simpsons. Basically any time you sense a 'morphing' effect between keyframes rather than regular animation, it's AKOM. If Yakko Warner just looks OFF to you in a way that's not intended by the episode.. it's AKOM.

Toei's usual shortcuts would be lower frame-rates and smaller amounts of characters on screen. This leads to fewer errors (particularly in layering) because there are fewer elements to worry about. Granted, we're not talking Filmation levels here, of course, which just has not excuse for its levels of suck.

Quote:
To the TF cartoon in general, I'm actually fairly ambivalent... It used to piss me off, but I take it more for what it is now, know which episodes are genuinely irritating and should be skipped and can enjoy it as a bit of nostalgic fluff for the most part.
I admit, I sometimes wonder what a "Transformers: Kai" could be like. 39 episodes carefully re-spliced and re-edited from the pre-movie era... There's a lot of that early season two batch that I would love to see gone. It'll never happen, of course, but it's an intriguing idea.

Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote