View Single Post
Old 2010-10-29, 09:32 PM   #20
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFVanguard View Post
With Transformers, you didn't have generic Transformers really. Your 'generic Decepticon' model was just Starscream recolored - solving nothing. With GI Joe, if you needed 30 Cobra troopers you just drew 30 Cobra Troopers (or a handful layered and looped). If you want 30 GI Joe soldiers raiding the base, you had a generic Joe model just for that purpose.

For Transformers, though, if you want a scene with 30 Decepticons, you would need thirty unique models (particularly after Hasbro nixed the genero-seeker). Notice that even the newer Transformers shows don't often try to pull that off, with only Armada really coming close... and suffering the same errors.

There was a GI Joe episode that I can't remember the name of that exemplified this well. It was a really big battle with lots of jets and soldiers and lots of blue and red lines.. yet it occurred to me that there were only FOUR guys with actual names in the battle (I think it was Destro, Baroness, Flint, Lady Jaye... all beaten by a crab). That was a hell of an effective 'cheat' for the show.

This doesn't explain away all of Transformer's errors, but it does explain why so many 'filler' shots have so many wrong characters and models around - particularly if they're skimping on the error-checking.
Yeah yeah, that's what I was trying to get across. It's easier for some shows to get away with a lot of the shots that we see errors in in Transformers. Even with the seekers in the first season you've got to forgive the paint people for not knowing that there aren't supposed to be two red seekers and stuff. With all the different color schemes they had going on with them, that kind of thing is bound to happen on the kind of schedule they were on.

Hound is offline   Reply With Quote