View Single Post
Old 2010-10-29, 10:05 PM   #23
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Yeh, the differing way GI Joe introduces characters (i.e. new toys) is curious. The two regular seasons start with a multi-parter that basically does nothing but shoe-horn in new toys, and bang, that's pretty much it - the new ones might have a bigger role in later episodes, they might not, but if they do, chances are that episode won't just be a laboured plot designed to hammer home their basic personality.
I figure that they wanted to get the blatant 'commercial' out of the way, and try to make it at least LOOK epic. Seemed to work better with GI Joe. Ironically, the best time to have introduced the season two characters from Transformers flawlessly would have been in season one... "Ultimate Doom" - or at hinted at them. The fact that both sides' casts DOUBLED overnight never did sit well with me. (At least you could say the Cons arrived on the space bridge.. can't really explain away the bots as easily.)

Quote:
and by the time that lot's done, whoops, here come the combiners, better make the lot we just spend 20-odd episodes shilling look rubbish...
And worse, they end up with B.O.T. before the movie toys get their season and the cycle starts all over again, finally ending up with Fort Max. You do have a point that it probably would have worked out better if some of the more popular and fun-to-write-for characters had simply gotten updates rather than replaced. (Granted, not to the ridiculous degree that the Unicron Trilogy had, but you know what I mean.)

Quote:
I think if there'd been a third Sunbow series straight after the film, focusing on the likes of Falcon and Jinx against Serpentor and Cobra-La or something, with Cobra Commander and Duke written out and tiny Movie-sized roles for the by-then discontinued likes of Flint, Destro and so on, it'd probably look a lot more disjointed. GI Joe's lucky in that the disjointed bits are the first two mini-series, and then there's a run of 90-odd episodes which feel a lot like one continuous series,
The fact that Sunbow wasn't willing to repeat their mistake with Transformers is why the show went to DIC in the first place... someone at Hasbro, and I kinda wish I knew who it was, was a complete moron.

Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote