View Single Post
Old 2012-01-29, 02:46 AM   #18
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dave Prime View Post
Yeah, but to be fair - there are only so many characters you can have. I realise that this could mean a potential great character or story is thrown out before they had a chance but I get the feeling that if a writer had a great idea for a character arc and realised that the character they had in mind was gone, they could still adapt it for another character. If we take LSOTW for example, wasnt the part of overlord originally going to be Scorponok? And things worked out better because of it.
Sometimes yes. But to use your LSOTW example, there aren't many people other than Pyro who could have carried off his arc because it was based pretty strongly on how he looked. The same goes for Topspin and Twin Twist. Maybe you could substitute Fastlane and Cloudraker, but then it's not the same story because they'd be new recruits instead of guys that Springer's known for years.

Sometimes stories are very unique to the characters they're written for.

Quote:
Besides, if things go well, roberts will be on this book for a while. In this case, if he was willing to kill off a character so easily, he was never going to be pushed to write for them.
Four years ago people would have said the same thing, except substituting 'Furman' instead of 'Roberts'. Things can change very quickly.

James Roberts isn't the sole arbiter of a character's value to the Transformers franchise. He's a good writer and I like what he's done with the characters that he's set his sights on, but I wish he wasn't so casual about stamping out the ones that he hasn't. It would be a shame if a later writer saw something in Siren or Rad that called out for exploration but he couldn't do anything with him because he's nothing but ashes scattered through the atmosphere of some alien planet.

Quote:
As a last note, the autobots who fall out of the ship could still return. There's certainly nothing to stop them being found in the same manner as Blaster in his spotlight.
Not without really, really straining credulity. They weren't just lost in space, after all. They were dumped into an atmosphere and we saw them burn up. There are a lot of 'deaths' that a robot could come back from, but this one's pretty definitive. Unless you're as tough as G2 Megatron, that's not something you're surviving.

Maybe they'll be able to recover some parts for repairs next issue, but I'd be surprised. The tone of this issue made their fates pretty cut and dried.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote