View Single Post
Old 2012-01-29, 06:24 AM   #20
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagger View Post
Another reason I think this reads like a maxi-series, is - again, this may sound harsh - that compared to RiD, that has a much more familiar cast and therefore (potentially) has a broader appeal, MTMTE is written by the fan-favorite writer and has a cast of some well-knowns (Magnus, Rodimus and Ratchet), a few unknowns (Drift and Rung) and a lot of second stringers (Skids, Tailgate, Swerve, etc, etc). The book reads like it's targeted more towards the fans, in the same way Last Stand of the Wreckers was, rather than it being yet another attempt to reach out to a few new readers.
I'm actually not sure I agree with that. Neither book has Optimus, Megatron or MovieBee in it, so from a non-fan's perspective they're probably on pretty equal footing.

And honestly, judging by their respective first issues if I was going to pick one series to recommend to a non-fan friend who wanted to read more about Transformers I would probably pick the Rodimus one. Transformers: Star Trek is going to be a lot more relatable to the average person than Transformers: Autobot Third Reich.

Quote:
My impression was quite a few people, judging by his reaction. Seeing Prowl just...snap like that is such an uncharacteristic thing for him to do. Regardless of who's writing him, Prowl's generally composed and doesn't display much emotion aside from the occasional I'm-plotting-to-destroy-you smirk.

I really liked that moment, actually, even if seems kinda bratty of him. Adds a little extra dimension to Prowl, which I'm all for
I really liked that too. My mental image of Prowl is him seething with rage at Grimlock in issue 77 of the old Marvel book, so I was glad to see that someone could get a reaction out of him if he was pushed too far. It makes him a lot more interesting than if he was an unflappable Grand Admiral Thrawn type who always knew what was going to happen and had a contingency plan for everything.

Quote:
G2 Sureshot?
I wondered who'd bring that up.

I think you could safely rule out Sureshot and Ginrai, though. Comics being a visual medium I'd be really surprised if they ever used a character that looked that much like Optimus Prime. That genuinely would be confusing for new readers, especially if the real Prime is going to keep wandering around calling himself Orion Pax.

Quote:
Actually....
SPOILER! (select to read)
Depending on how they handle it, honestly it might just end up pissing me off more. If it's just Siren who survives, even if they handle it well you still wonder why so many others got killed off for no reason. And if all the named characters magically survive then...well, then Roberts loses a lot of credibility as a writer in my eyes.

Also: Alex Milne is pretty much the Jose Delbo of modern TF comics, isn't he? I'm not the biggest fan of Roche's style, but comparing Milne's art to his Milne's comes off looking completely flat and soulless.

Quote:
(EDIT: Sigh, seriously? Why are links still visible though spoiler tags. Kind of defeats the purpose, don't you think?)
I've noticed that too, from time to time. It's probably a CSS conflict. If I remember right the spoiler feature was something Denyer hacked together over a lunch break five years ago, so we can't expect it to be perfect.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote