View Single Post
Old 2012-01-29, 03:51 AM   #19
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

Smile

I consider myself also of the "cautiously optimistic" camp. Though, I'll admit, I'm probably being a bit more generous than most of you.

This book feels safe to me because - and this may sound harsh - it reads like a limited or maxi-series, even if it's not slated as one.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, the way I see it...assuming there's no executive meddling along the way (yeah, yeah, I know -- be quiet ). I'm fine with the prospect of a series that has a planned beginning, middle and end. Just to be clear, I'm not saying that was the plan from the get go, I'm just saying I'm not adverse to the idea.

Another reason I think this reads like a maxi-series, is - again, this may sound harsh - that compared to RiD, that has a much more familiar cast and therefore (potentially) has a broader appeal, MTMTE is written by the fan-favorite writer and has a cast of some well-knowns (Magnus, Rodimus and Ratchet), a few unknowns (Drift and Rung) and a lot of second stringers (Skids, Tailgate, Swerve, etc, etc). The book reads like it's targeted more towards the fans, in the same way Last Stand of the Wreckers was, rather than it being yet another attempt to reach out to a few new readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry
When I read that, I honestly wondered just how many people Prowl had given that little speech to...and how many of them he'd convinced to stay.
My impression was quite a few people, judging by his reaction. Seeing Prowl just...snap like that is such an uncharacteristic thing for him to do. Regardless of who's writing him, Prowl's generally composed and doesn't display much emotion aside from the occasional I'm-plotting-to-destroy-you smirk.

I really liked that moment, actually, even if seems kinda bratty of him. Adds a little extra dimension to Prowl, which I'm all for

Quote:
But to use your LSOTW example, there aren't many people other than Pyro who could have carried off his arc because it was based pretty strongly on how he looked.
G2 Sureshot?

Quote:
This time we can say goodbye to Fizzle, Sureshot, Siren, Rollout, and Rad (probably not Waverider, since he's got an invincible Pretender shell...). And what for?

<snippity snip>

Not without really, really straining credulity. They weren't just lost in space, after all. They were dumped into an atmosphere and we saw them burn up. There are a lot of 'deaths' that a robot could come back from, but this one's pretty definitive. Unless you're as tough as G2 Megatron, that's not something you're surviving.
Actually....

SPOILER! (select to read)
Rumor has it Siren will survive. Though, this claim is based solely on Milne's sketch work for this series. Along with a character model for Trailbreaker - who we know will be in the series going by the solicit for the third issue - he also posted one for Siren at his Deviant Art page:

http://markerguru.deviantart.com/art...sign-278134359

As you say, though, it does strain credulity. Maybe he's the sole survivor of this accident (?????).

That could be a good or bad thing. Good because, going by the character's brief history in IDW (he appeared in Spotlight: Kup), knowing he survived when others didn't, can lead to all sorts of nifty story and character possibilities. Bad because...well, a bunch of named characters that we didn't get a chance to meet were killed off for the sake of drama.

To tell you the truth, I'm not really sure where I stand on this. Plus, the whole Siren thing may as well be a fluke, and I just got your hopes for nothing.

Sorry

(EDIT: Sigh, seriously? Why are links still visible though spoiler tags. Kind of defeats the purpose, don't you think?)

zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote