View Single Post
Old 2012-10-18, 04:32 PM   #29
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Thing is it's not hidden - I read all the text in comic frames, that simple. Not entirely sure if there's a better way of doing it - imagine the details you'd miss in, say, Watchmen if you didn't. Something like Transformers offers ample scope for fun easter eggs - the Trainbots in a crowd scene and statues of Japanese G1 leaders both being good ones from Dreamwave because none of those characters are anything to do with anything else in the continuity and you need extras for crowd scenes and subjects for statues. But text? That involves the name of a character who's, like, in the comics at the time? When genuinely random text would do the job just as well? It comes back to the same thing as O'Nion - there's no need for the distraction, so why do it?

Easter eggs are all well and good if they don't disrupt the story. That one did.
I dont think the detail level in watchmen (which is centered on the watchman world) is the same as an easter egg in a long running comic though. (And while you would miss a lot in watchman if you didnt read everything I think you'd still be able to follow the plot.)

The other stuff in the TF comics is just incidental detail - it has no bearing on the plot at all. Watchmen is different in that its part of the world they are looking to establish. In the Transformers comics, it seems its is simply a nod to the more knowing reader. As far as I know there are loads of little references back to the Marvel series in Last Stand of the Wreckers. They're a nice little homage and nothing more.

I'm guessing the writer/ artist feels its a cure thing to do. The other option is really just to have random numbers as its not something thats affecting the plot either way. I'd rather have the little easter eggs.

Of course if your arguing that the writer and artist should be more creative and fill it with stuff that builds the actual world their story is set in, then I kinda see your point, but it still would never take me out of the story in anyway.

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote