View Single Post
Old 2013-11-18, 11:55 AM   #100
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper
I would theorise that while there might be a lot of dilly-dallying over ordering that once a 3P figure arrives in a collector's hands as long as the quality is passable they're inclined to stick - so say you buy a third party Shockwave that's excellent and then in a year's time someone else comes up with a slightly better one, the collector is likely to stick unless they have money to burn
Yeah, that's my take on it. And given sufficient appeal the same goes for official high-ticket items... Warbot Defender being liquidated isn't the best example because Generations Springer is a mass-market figure rather than a premium one, and WD wasn't an accurate representation of the character in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry
And the next two MP cars are Wheeljack and Bumblebee, neither of which have quick or high-profile redecos at all (though if you've ever wanted an MP Slicer or Marlboor, cross your fingers...). That makes me think that redecos aren't as big a factor in their plans for MPs as they are for, say, a standard Deluxe toy.
I think it's more a question of keeping as many of them as variant-friendly as possible. Even if it's a case of "wait a bit and then do deluxe versions", because of the vehicle licensing (and odds that that's fixed term) they need to maximise profit within a window.

With Bumblebee, are we certain they've squared the bug with VW? Could be looking at Cliffjumper, Hubcap, and any number of less-known minibots.

Quote:
I'm not sure they would. Part of the MP line's branding is exclusivity, for better or worse. If they made the molds more easily available they'd make money off of it in the short term, but in the long term it would take away from the "feeding frenzy" that happens when a new MP toy is released and possibly hurt future sales.
Implicit in "if they could make it pay", really (although for how much longer is this viable with professional bootleggers getting involved?)

As you say, Asia being a boom market is both interesting and largely unknown. LEGO's certainly doing well.

Quote:
Third-party TMNT or DC stuff likewise doesn't seem to be very thick on the ground, which is a surprise -- surely it'd be way easier and cheaper to produce non-transforming figures?
The fandom attracts engineers, the science end of science fiction fans and the product's particularly tactile and creative. Third party product is also easier to defend in a way that a likeness of Wolverine or Batman/Superman isn't.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote