View Single Post
Old 2013-12-31, 03:10 PM   #19
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

I thought the Circle people were mostly unaligned? Though all I know about the Drift series comes from your summaries and those golden tablets inscribed with the words that came from a hat. Fair play though - she is very Drifty as it is. There's no need to compound that.

The retcon stuff is all the more embarrassing as Scott has said specifically that they aren't going to do that. I think Barber would rather eat his own fingers than allow an out-and-out 'nuh-uh' to go by.

And yeah, using the inverted commas was a terrible way to start. You don't have to go far to find some things that Scott has written. And, as you say, that Auto Assembly podcast you mentioned elsewhere has Roche, Roberts and Barber being very forthright about the problematic nature of Spotlight: Arcee, their unwillingness to defend it and the interesting challenge of pretending it doesn't exist altogether. I guess none of that showed up in Furman's Google Alerts?

Quote:
It doesn't help that he seems to be on the verge of going "I'm not sexist... I've a friend who's a woman".
If jenbot1980 turns out to be Furman's mum then it all may approach meltdown.

I'm trying to think of a way to boil this down to an inspirational poster. Perhaps a kitten hanging from a tree with the words, 'If a bizarre and unloved piece of work you did five years ago becomes emblematic to a culture you don't undersand for the need of a minor shift in tone for a narrow band of fiction, for god's sake don't argue the toss.'

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote