View Single Post
Old 2014-02-12, 09:40 AM   #22
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Siouxsie And The Banshees 'The Scream' (1978)

Pretty much Goth's year zero, this spiky and spooky debut is a great claustrophobic clatter of jangly gituars and Siouxsie's distinctive bark. The nice whirlitzer style sounds give this a glorious off kilter feel. This remastered version also adds poppy debut single 'Hong Kong Garden' and its b-side to the running order.

Charli XCX 'True Romance' (2013)

Outwardly sweet sounding, but pretty brutal punchy pop music from big haired Charli. It has that expansive, cavernous sound that a lot of pop music does these days, but it takes that cliché and chucks a hand grenade at it. Probably the smartest pop music made since the Sugababes and Girls Aloud.

Genius/RZA 'Liquid Swords' (1995)

Being a honky, there's no way I can listen to hard edged hip hop like this without feeling a bit bloody silly. My life experiences are a world away from those of the Wu Tang Clan and I can't really 'relate', but Jesus H Jones this is good stuff. This was a largely forgotten, but well respected, record until a year or so ago when suddenly it got resissued with all manner of packaging adornments. I've just got the original and that's enough for me. A great, great record that even clueless white folk like me can get into

Cancer Bats 'Dead Set On Living' (2012)

Glorious punk-metal racket. Not much else I can say about this.

Lady Gaga 'Born This Way' (2011)

Terrible sleeve art aside (it really reminds of the airbrushed rubbish you used to get on '80s hard rock albums), this is a good successor to Gaga's debut. Doesn't have quite as many obvious stand out tracks, but is more memorable than most of the stuff on the later 'Artpop'. As with all Gaga's output, her visual inventiveness outstrips her actual music which isn't actually anything particularly ground breaking, its just well written well done stuff. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote