View Single Post
Old 2014-07-21, 01:47 AM   #22
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
I've loved him since I found him in 2004. He has more paint on him than any other mass-market deluxe that I can think of.
I'll see your Sharkticon and raise you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
Universe Reptilion
Your move.

In general, it's amazing how much more paint figures had a decade ago than they do now. The Universe line especially, but also Energon and stuff like Alternators.

Quote:
I still have this one, and still like it. I remember paying roughly $30 on ebay for it around the time of release because the only Target near me didn't stock it.
You say that like it's a lot, but Nemesis Prime goes for $100 or so these days.

Quote:
Yep! It's weird to think of 2009/2010 as something like "the good ole days", but the amount of top notch stuff delivered then hasn't been matched since. Terradive is among the best of that crop, too. And I liked the trident... he had an aerial mode, a ground-based name, and a marine weapon. He's a triple threat!
In retrospect, those were some of the best days of the brand. Toys like Terradive, Straxus, Battle Blades Prime, etc! Deluxes for only $10, often even in Canada! Boundless enthusiasm for where the line was going! It's sad to think things have turned around so soon.

Quote:
Takara Tigatron
The white Tigatron is one of the prettiest Beast Wars toys ever. Hasbro's ugly cream version? Blah.

Quote:
Universe Ratchet
I don't think I've ever seen those tampographs before. Oh, Hasbro.

Quote:
Universe Soundwave & Spacecase
Don't have those two, but I do have Universe Air Raid and Wind Sheer and I love them! I'll have to take pics of them later on if nobody beats me to it.

Some more:

Universe Fireflight is, uh, unique? He's based on an old Beast Machines Vehicon, painted up like the G1 character, and uh, yeah. That's all I've got. I really liked him when I got him, I think, but he doesn't make much of an impression on me now. The weird arms are a real turn-off.

Classics Astrotrain! I was so damned excited when I got this toy in 2006, because he was the first Classics toy that I saw in person. He was a triplechanger, and he was a G1 character, and exactly the sort of thing that fans had been dreaming of for years. And he was...okayish? His legs are badly designed and his arms don't have the best articulation, but he's a million times better than Octankor or Blitzwing, and easily the second-best Triplechanger mold Hasbro's ever made after Springer/Sandstorm. The toy certainly shows its age, as most of the Classics toys do these days, but it's a good-looking representation of the character for display, if nothing else. I also have a lot of fun switching him from one mode to the other. The quick transformations are enjoyable, and make it easier to overlook the obvious flaws in both the shuttle and train modes.

Prime Soundwave is a gem! The design shouldn't even be physically possible. And even assuming it got made, by all rights it should be a floppy, fragile, ugly mess. Only it's not. It's beautiful, elegantly simple and very show-accurate. The RiD-series Prime toys were very, very hit-or-miss compared to the cool FE ones, but Soundwave is one of the best from either line. His plane mode is believable, his robot mode is lithe and poseable, and his little minion Laserbeak is well-integrated into the overall design. Great toys like this only make me sadder we never got quality figures for half of the main cast.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote