View Single Post
Old 2014-07-22, 04:08 AM   #34
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
I miss having lots of paint on Transformers. They just look so much nicer with all the cool detailing picked out. I think thats why the toys from the turn of the century are among my favourites. They just look spot on.
I think toys can work without much paint, but they need to be designed that way. I mean, Generations Springer isn't exactly heavy on the paint, but they mix and match the different plastic colours a lot and that creates a lot of contrast. It's only when toys are molded all (or mostly) in one or two colours that the lack of paint really jumps out at me (case in point, the new Leader Jetfire -- if the toy is 100% white, you can't skimp on the paint apps!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
Prime Soundwave looks like he's got a spiffing vaudeville cane in that thumbnail.

Now I need to find him a real cane...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
Kind of hoping for MP Mirage and Hound... find the Classics ones a bit too exaggerated or toony, respectively.
I don't think a hypothetical MP Hound is going to be any less cartoony than the Universe toy, at least not with the current design team. An MP Mirage would be nice, though.

Quote:
Beast Machines Scavenger

Quote:
Generation 2 Optimus Prime
Sexy black trailer. That is all.
Yes. To the point where every single Optimus Prime picture, toy or screenshot that features the original trailer looks fundamentally wrong to me. I need to track down a new cab for mine one day, though, because mine has been...well-loved, lets say.

Also, "I AM OPTIMUS PRIME! *engine noises and laser sounds*" never gets old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderwave View Post
Classics Skywarp
The one Classics Seeker I don't own a version of!

I think Universe Starscream is my favourite, personally, though Skywarp is definitely pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderwave View Post
Energon Battle Ravage
Me, I'm a fan of both of his modes! It's a shame he was never done up in traditional Ravage colours, though (the Attacktix doesn't count!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrad View Post
Beast Wars Metals Ravage
I hate you for owning this. And I hate BotCon even more for losing the molds after they made Transmetal Tigatron from it.

Quote:
BotCon 2005 Ironhide
I do think this is probably the best toy G1 Ironhide has ever gotten. Admittedly, though, the competition isn't all that fierce.

Quote:
HFTD Ironhide
I refuse to ever transform him again on the grounds that it may drive me to mass murder.

A coherent set from me, this time:

The Universe Minibots were very sought-after at the time, and some of them were very hard to find. My Warpath has moved on (I gave him to my nephew after I got Generations Warpath, who is just a better-executed, bigger version of the same toy). But these four I've kept.

I'm not a big fan of the tiny Legends/Legion size class, to be honest. It's very hard to make a good to for collectors at such a small size (for kids is a different story -- these things are great for kids). The figures usually turn out to either be too simple, leading to simplified, ugly robot modes, or too complex, making them a floppy mess. But Brawn? Brawn is basically perfect. He looks good in both modes (in spite of having his face painted the wrong colour for no apparent reason) and I can absentmindedly transform him in under five seconds without even looking at him. He's a perfect desk/couch toy to fiddle with while most of my attention is on something else. How in the world did he ever get boxed up?

Beachcomber is almost as cool, but his transformation isn't quite as satisfying and the bits of roll cage on his arms have always vexed me. I've never really understood why Mr. Beatnik has a machine gun in vehicle mode, either. But he's a lovely shade of blue and captures the original toy quite well.

I want to like Wheelie but I just can't. The gigantic arms and legs just look off to me. The head mold is satisfyingly cute, though.

And then there's Cosmos. I loved him at the time because Cosmos is my favourite Minibot, but with the new toy coming out this year it really took the bloom off of him. he's got Retrax arms and wonky legs, and he's the wrong colour! The design really needed the extra joints that the larger size class could bring it. He used to be one of the most sought-after little TFs ever, but I don't think many people want him anymore.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote