View Single Post
Old 2014-09-17, 07:21 PM   #16
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

[Remember folks: ALL= Alternate Lost Light, OLL= Our Lost Light. It's what all the cool kids are doing.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
It -does- feel like one of those last moment things, and the last page felt forced as well--never in any dialogue or movement of his did Brainstorm betray any "evil" like qualities.

Well, he wouldn't have been a very good double agent if he had been going around acting all evil would he (though he's always been the most cowardly of the regulars by a comfortable margin- I wonder if Megatron not putting himself forward for anything unless he has to was set up as a deliberate parallel?).

I'm inclined to think double bluff with Brainstorm as well, but if not, the fact he was on Kimia at the same time as Skyfall found a way to pass on Gideon's Glue to the Decepticons is suggestive (it's also suggestive that place had a serious vetting problem).

Taken at face value the Decepticon symbol under the faceplate is ludicrous, sure it's a nice nod at Peace and is more visually interesting than if they'd just found him with the machine that summoned the DJD, but how would that work on a day to day level? What if it had been ripped off in battle or an accident? No wonder he's a coward.

So I would lean towards a plant. Considering the story was very quick to establish that ALL Rewind's recording was canned very quickly by Ultra Magnus so they only have his word for what happened after Rodimus' death, are we actually looking at him being the mole, blackmailed into it because the Decepticons have Dominus Ambus? Or is that way too obvious?

If it was Brainstorm, that means we have an answer as to why none of his super weapons were used in the crews defence, and having a man on the inside disabling the security systems would explain a lot about the ease of victory.

One other thing the issue seemed to go out of its way to establish was that the two Brainstorm's hadn't come up with the same weapons during their time on the ship. I will bet now this is foreshadowing for the two briefcases actually doing different things (though he had it before he came aboard he's been mucking about with it all this time, it could do all sorts of extra things by now), and the final solution will pit briefcase against briefcase.

I'm also assuming the Time Lock thingey on Overlord's cell was broken on OLL as well, the signal just never reached the DJD.

The highlight of the issue was the Chromedome/Rewind reunion, considering I was dead against it the slight of hand in making you think it had been a one off return before that beautifully done page really packed a wallop.

The rest of the issue was damn good as well, everything flowed neatly, Megatron and Ravage got more great material (as did Skids with his speech) and all the pieces fell into place with a satisfying clunk.

Only two minor niggles:

1: The "Oh, you never believed he was dead" bit in the recap felt like Roberts occasional tendency of having a go at things people don't like the series (along with the "Do I look like a Mary Sue?" and... well the whole resolution of the Circle of Light plot), considering how overwhelmingly loved the book it that has always felt a bit pointless and petty just to put Warcry in his place.

However fully deserved.

2: Still not liking how Nightbeat is being written (considering his cameo in Shadowplay was handled perfectly I'm not sure what Roberts is doing wrong here), bring back Bogart Nightbeat! It also continued the fine and long-standing tradition (going all the way back to The Big Shutdown where Siren just rides up and explains the plot to him before he has a chance) of the Autobot's greatest Detective not getting to do much detectoring, Rewind just tells him everything he needs to know.

The stuff with him working out what linked the vanishing people was a welcome break from this tradition, but was a subplot is an issue with a lot more going on in it. So before season 2 is out I'd really love a proper Nightbeat detective story where he works things out through investigation and smarts rather than people expositioning at him.

inflatable dalek is online now   Reply With Quote