View Single Post
Old 2014-09-18, 08:28 PM   #11
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
The fact he turns into Anubis definitely raises my level of interest. Didn't realise he was MP Grimlock size either.
If Anubis is what you're after, I think we need Knightdramon to give us that same pose using his Black Hexatron.

Quote:
Coming back to Geoff's earlier point about combiner teams... I might not be into gestalts particularly, but individual team members offer variety to a collection and are an excellent way for designers to get creative because the Scramble City moulds were generally little not-particularly-detailed blocks.
In general I'd agree with you, but I don't find that many third-parties do a very good job of that. Most everyone seems to concentrate on making a fantastic, huge combined mode and then doing whatever with the limbs, sometimes ending up with stuff that only vaguely resembles what they're trying to homage when it's not combined. I don't expect that to change any time soon either, since this fandom has always had an inexplicable-to-me obsession with gestalts and general indifference for the smaller robots that make them up.

Quote:
Prefer it when they stick to square-ish heads, though.
Yes! I can't stand when toys designed after Scramble City limbs wind up with curved or spiky heads. The square, blocky nature of them all is one of the things that, IMO, makes them so charming.

In spite of being rather nonplussed by Hasbro's Combiner Wars stuff, their Air Raid is basically the perfect example of what I want in combiner homages (and what almost nobody actually seems to want to make).

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote