View Single Post
Old 2014-09-25, 09:00 PM   #23
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

I got Fansproject City Commander armour for my Classics Ultra Magnus way back in the first release, and have picked up various Justitoys WSTs (including the Dinobots, Blaster and Shockwave) plus iGear Legends Bumblebee.

I absolutely love my City Commander armour, and the build quality and finish are great. It's a shame I missed out on the upgrade with the shoulder missiles later on though (didn't have enough money at the time of release... but if anyone could ever help me out, please let me know!).

The WSTs vary wildly, as my reviews elsewhere on the Archive show. I gave up after Shockwave and Blaster were both pretty major disasters (following Swoop, who was only a moderate and fixable disaster).

iGear Bumblebee was meh.

Recently, however, I have picked up the Maketoys Armageddon add-on for YOTS Supreme Omega Supreme. It is absolutely awesome! And the build quality seems good. In all, my Omega Supreme now has almost as much mass as Generations Metroplex (which says a lot about the build quality of the current mainline toys...). And the base mode! Wow! I have never been excited by a base mode in my life before, but with the Armageddon add-on Omega Supreme is imposing and a great homage to the G1 character (particularly if you keep the arm cannon attached to the spaceship for a more rocket-like effect). The only negative about the add-on is that the light switches are in awkward places (indeed, you need to part dismantle the arm cannon to switch on the light, and then reassemble with it turned on). However, I would have happily bought it without lights (I'm not generally a fan of electronics), and at the same price too. So the arm cannon light is actually a nice bonus.

I also got Perfect Effect Warden (IDW Fortress Maximus). This is my first proper big third party stand-alone figure. I am extremely impressed by the build quality and finish. The articulation and centre of gravity also allows for amazing poses, and the robot mode and Headmaster are awesome. I wasn't blown away by the transformation or alt mode though - he's basically a part-former, and a fiddly one at that. If Hasbro or Takara released him, the internet would ring with the clamour of moaning fanboys due to the transformation and alt mode. However, he is one of my favourite display pieces just now and reckon he will remain as one. (After all, City Commander Ultra Magnus doesn't work well in alt mode either...)

I've got Hexatron Continuum on preorder, as well as the upgrade kit for Warden.

I think the third party toys I have all fit in with their respective Hasbro lines (WSTs with WSTs and others with Classics). With the Classics inspired ones, the only difference is they generally have a better finish than the 'official' toys, although I have a very limited selection so it may not be widely true.

Third party toys have the potential to effectively allow me to complete my updated G1 collection relatively shortly I think, and possibly better than Hasbro would ever let me (if at all). The Combiner Wars pictures just put me off finally - I can't believe I missed out an an excellent third party Menasor waiting for the 'official' one, which is frankly terrible (at least not my style). I had been drawing an arbitrary line between official and third party figures, but now I see no reason they can't all be part of what is really quite a personal collection.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote