View Single Post
Old 2014-11-02, 07:20 PM   #46
Death's Head
Gestalt

London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Slag View Post
I can't see anything wrong with combiner wars. Its always been an interesting concept, melding five minds, and I've not really seen a decent stab at it in Transformers comics.
It would be interesting to see what James Roberts would do with the idea.

The best example I've seen so far was in Cliffjumpers fanfic; where Defensor squared off against Galvatron. In the sequence, Galvatron damaged Defensor's leg (Groove in this case) essentially knocking that limb unconscious, it removed the drifter element and made the Gestalt a thoroughly more destructive killing machine who was about to finish off Galvatron when Hotspot gave the issue to separate because, you know, killing is wrong.

There must be loads of room for experimentation with gestalts. What if one of them is feeling a bit depressed, has taken some Syk, or been taken sick? Menasor was made up of components who detested Motormaster. I always thought that was an interesting idea, but nothing ever came of it.
I agree with all of that. There's some massively interesting science-fiction waiting to be written around the idea of combiners. Transformers approached this in the early days (The Return of the Transformers springs to mind) and I'd love to see it explored more, but I can't see a Hasbro-mandated toy advert doing that for me. Not after Dark Cybertron (which admittedly did give my moth-eaten wallet a break).

SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Death's Head is offline   Reply With Quote