View Single Post
Old 2014-11-06, 08:42 PM   #54
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
To a certain extent and when there's no other option, perhaps. But considering how often those "benign" involuntary treatments seem to get reclassified as "atrocities" by future generations? I'm not especially sanguine about doctors having carte blanche to decide what's best for their patients. There's a good reason why medical treatments usually need to be cleared through an incapacitated person's next-of-kin rather than society just telling doctors to do what they think is best -- the next-of-kin are supposed to know what the patient themselves would want.

Sometimes that means the patient doesn't get the ideal treatment, but I'd much rather have that than some stranger making decisions for me just because they've got a stethoscope and a lab coat.
I should preface this by saying, I've not read IDW's output since the Spotlights first came out, so take this with a grain of salt.

Having said that...

You're ascribing a human (specifically, western) code of ethics upon an alien species that, for all intents and purposes, doesn't necessarily follow the same rules. Yes, they have humanistic appearances, and they're written by humans, and everything they do is going to ultimately be shot through the prism of human experience.

BUT, from a storytelling standpoint, there is no good reason why a non-human species developing its society far from human influence would arrive at the same code of ethics that we would.

Add to this the possibility that a society of sentient robots who can be repaired from the brink of death, and for whom death is very rarely anything more than an inconvenience, could easily wind up with a society that views one's personal rights as slightly more disposable than ours does.

Dead Man Wade is offline   Reply With Quote