View Single Post
Old 2014-11-27, 08:45 PM   #16
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

What an issue! A great view of what Cybertron might have become without Megatron and Optimus to tear the system down.

With the increasingly-grim view we're getting of pre-war Cybertron, though, I really do wonder why any of the NAILs wanted to come home after getting the "war's over!" signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
I'd say Brainstorm is pretty much unambiguously evil isn't he at this stage?
Hard to say! We don't know what his motivations are, or what reasons (if any) he had for doing what he's done. We just have speculation from Rodimus and Megatron. We don't even know if he's actually a Decepticon, or if he really tried to kill anyone (if everyone knew that Swerve watered his drinks, well, that everyone included Brainstorm...). It looks bad, but I'm sure we'll think differently of him (for better or worse) once it's all done.

Quote:
The fate of Dominus was just nasty, and the eye cameras were a really neat piece of proper science fiction (for a while now I've thought there'd be something in that with the way electrical devices are shrinking all the time).
I've seen the "eye cameras" thing done before, but it really is a perfect fit for Transformers in particular, with their mechanical biology. It also serves to underscore the hypocrisy of the Functionists nicely...they'll happily modify citizens (either like this, or with progressively awful means of Empurata) to suit their own ends, but still crow about how function follows form and your alt-mode defines your existence (even though it is clearly no problem to rebuild Transformers into new alt-modes). It shows nice and clear how not even the Council believes in their rhetoric, and the Taxonomy is nothing but a sham designed to keep the population in line.

Yet again, a great way to capitalize on the Transformers' mechanical nature and tell stories that just wouldn't be possible with humans.

Sidenote: I wonder what the knockoffs (who were lucky enough to merely be deported rather than "obsoleted") are up to in the new timeline. There were tons of them.

Quote:
Ironically, as much as the new future is probably worse for all the Transformers, it probably means the rest of the galaxy is a lot better off doesn't it?
I don't know about that. The beginning suggests that the Transformers were at war with a large chunk of the civilized galaxy, and that they had to surrender a moon in order to end the conflict. Four million years of the Primal Vanguard running around squashing puny flesh creatures is probably just as bad as four million years of Autobots and Decepticons turning everyone else into collateral damage.

Quote:
I will bet you know Megatron will be the leader of the resistance in the new present (or, if Roberts is being really tricksy, Orion Pax will be and Brainstorm has actually gone back to kill Megatron having decided all their defeats are actually their leader's fault and he's going to take charge using his future knowledge to try and change things).
Or Brainstorm isn't a Decepticon at all and his crudely-scrawled badge is only an attempt to fit in during the pre-war days so he can get close enough to Megatron to kill him and prevent the war in the first place, which (he thinks) will make the future a better place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome View Post
It was early on when things were still solidifying, but it strikes me that Rewind in the first issue of MTMTE had a sort of nostalgic, almost warm view of Functionism - he kept his useless alt mode and repeated one of their slogans in a cheerful way. I'd like it if that was intentional - the way people in Russia have fond memories of Stalin and such.
Wouldn't you be? It may have been oppressive and cruel, especially for those of his class, but at least there was always Energon on the table and his friends weren't constantly being butchered in combat. Safety and comfort will always look pretty good when you're looking back on them from a time of horrible, dangerous freedom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagger View Post
Good showing from Rodimus. The focus these last seven issues has been skewed towards Megatron, and while that's not much of a criticism, it's still nice to see more of the old faces again. I guess it's the wait between issues that makes it seem like it's been forever since we've last seen the likes of Rodimus or Magnus.
That's because it has been! Between the recent Megatron-focused issues and Dark Cybertron before it, it's been over a year since we've seen Rodimus or Magnus really take centre stage in a MTMTE adventure.

Quote:
But in all seriousness, the real headscratcher, for me anyway, was how Perceptor came to the conclusion that Brainstorm time jumped. Did I skim past that part?
I missed that too.

Quote:
Chromedome hasn't quite given me a reason to doubt his intentions -- or his feelings for Rewind -- but was I the only one that was worried that he might be considering doing more than just erasing ALL Rewind's memories of the DJD?
Yeah...I got the feeling that he'd at least consider erasing all of Rewind's memories of his time on the other Lost Light (conveniently getting rid of the "You're not my Chromedome!" complaint) or possibly even rewriting those memories with constructs based on what his Rewind lived through. I don't know if he'd actually do it, but it has to be tempting.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote