View Single Post
Old 2014-11-29, 08:58 PM   #28
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Hahaha.Warcry has posted in this thread! Time for the monthly argument with Captain Grumpy over his finding of flaws in the issue. The absolute highlight of my lonely and miserable life. He he.

Quote:
Mind, whilst I can see why Roberts would have Perceptor firmly debunk the idea time travel is going to work like it did in the rebooted Star Trek film (because if every time you time travel you do go into a parallel timeline and the original carries on regardless there wouldn't be much of a sense of jeopardy nor a lot of motivation to go after him as a universe where those things happened would exist anyway), it is odd that we're told parallel Universes don't exist whilst at the same time cutting to an alternate version of the present that is... well parallel.
It's not really, though. The version of Cybertron that we're seeing is the real one now. The Lost Light hasn't phased out of existence yet because Brainstorm's briefcase-machine is protecting it, but everything else from the universe we know is gone and has been replaced with the new one.

Not that there aren't other flaws with the idea, such as...

Quote:
Come to that, isn't the whole idea of Quantum physics based upon the "Infinite number of possible outcomes all happening" idea?
This I agree with you on. I'm not a quantum physicist by any means but I think your take on things is, if nothing else, a decent approximation of the idea.

Also the pat "no other universes" rule is completely blown out of the water by the existence of the Dead Universe, if nothing else.

Quote:
I suppose the big clue about what he's after is last issue he materialised where Megatron was in the past rather than where Pax was.
Yep, that's what I was thinking too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome View Post
That's a good point, Unicron. The Functionists have 'Catholicism' written all over them. That's probably a good way to interpret their relationship to the Senate (remember that Cybertron is divided, politically, into city-states, each with their own representative in the Senate).
That's the only way I could make sense of it myself, though I thought of a modern example first in Iran -- the Functionist Council fill the Ayatollah's role while the Senate are the secular government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome View Post
That's not a bad connection. He would have known where Ununtrium was to be found as there's not much of it around. It does seem to be native to Cybertron and its moons though, doubtful if it would show up on Messantine, which seems to be very far away.
The problem with that (and the whole idea of ununtrium being rare and special, TBH) is that ununtrium is a real element that even us mere humans can synthesize in a lab. Naturally-occurring samples are going to be rare but I don't understand why Brainstorm would need to time-travel to get it. Just set up a particle accelerator and get to work making your own!

Of course in real life it's got a half-life of twenty seconds, is scorchingly radioactive and doesn't make you invincible, so it's probably best to just pretend that it's a magical fantasy compound and leave it at that. Especially since Roberts only used it because it has the atomic number 113 and he can't help himself from making 113 in-jokes...

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote