View Single Post
Old 2015-01-03, 06:29 AM   #56
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
So it's going to take one of my favourite things to cheer me up, arguing with Warcry!
Always glad to help!

Quote:
A fine example of the need for plot to trump everything, IIRC Roberts has said he never used to like facial hair on Transformers until he needed some visual way to make the Ambus twins instantly identical despite their different colours schemes (and presumably something that would avoid looking like they'd had a Shockwave done to them, or that Magnus might have a tiny Optimus Prime lookalike in him).
Well, facial hair on Transformers is pretty stupid, so he's got good taste at least. I mean, as an affectation in a weirdo like Wreck-Gar it has its place, but on characters that we're supposed to take seriously it's a little odd.

Quote:
Oh we complained, but we're still here (and I don't think we ever jumped on IDW Arcee as hard as she was jumped on a year ago, at least never enough to get the author to come out and make a defence of the character).
Furman was definitely getting a lot more benefit of the doubt back in those days, but our reaction thread for Spotlight: Arcee does feature several "this is a terrible idea"-type comments and I'd imagine it was the same elsewhere. Of course, none of us are fellow IDW employees, so it would be pretty hard for us to stir up a hornet's nest like what happened last year.

Quote:
Even when only compared to its contemporaries, Transformers is an almost total failure in its treatment of female characters.
Only if you're restricting yourself to looking at the Transformers themselves. If you're looking at the cast of the comics/cartoon in general, there are quite a few female characters, from Carly and Marissa Fairborne in the cartoon to Jesse and Circuit Breaker in the comics (not to mention a bevy of female guest stars like Cecilia Santiago, Rachel Becker and Joy Meadows). Some of them weren't exactly portrayed in an enlightened way, but there are a lot of female characters even in the old Transformers stories. Not as many as there are males, but I suspect the ratio is a lot closer to its contemporaries once the humans are counted.

What that says to me is that even in the 80s, the writers realized that it was problematic to have an all-male cast even when Hasbro had a strict no-girls policy for the toyline.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote