Old 2015-01-23, 01:29 AM   #92
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I know, it's practically unheard of!

Honestly I don't know how many kids will even get a chance to put one of these combiners together, let alone try to assemble a "proper" team. Four Deluxes and a Voyager is a lot of cash compared to the old combiners, when the limbs were pocket-money impulse-buy fodder.
I dunno, I think it's about the same actually. We know from old store catalog scans that the Scramble-style limb guys were sold for $5 each and the torso guys were $12. According the US Government's site about the history of minimum wage increases, the minimum hourly wage was raised to $3.35 in 1981 and stayed there until 1989, or the bulk of the run of the original line. 5*4+12=$32 for a full set (whereas gift sets were $28), which would've taken about 10 hours worth of work at the minimum pay rate allowed to accumulate. Now we have $15 limbs and $25 torsos. 15*4+25=$85 for a full set, and at the current minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, that would take about... twelve hours to accumulate. But! The toys now are bigger, more articulated, and I think unarguably more durable than what was marketed back in the heyday.

So yeah... it's about the same. If anything, it illustrates just how expensive the toys used to be instead of the opposite.

Clay is online now   Reply With Quote