View Single Post
Old 2015-08-19, 07:41 PM   #15
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Here is mine, for you all delectation:

Preacher - loses it a bit when we hit the overlong 'Salvation' arc, but is full of awesome all the same (even if most of the themes and ideas showed up in Ennis earlier run on Hellblazer) and probably the last time Steve Dillon bothered with backgrounds.

Transmetropolitan - Still brilliant political satire / mad future stuff thats actually alarmingly prescient from Warren Ellis and Darick Robertson.

Fatale - Excellent noir/ horror series from the Brubaker/ Phillips team. First thing of theirs that I've really got into (not that their other stuff is pap, far from it).

Scud: The Disposable Assassin - huge surreal robot/ oddball funtimes from Rob Schrab and Mondy Carter. One of my very favourite things from the 1990s.

Y: The Last Man - Joyful wee series about the last man on Earth and his monkey. Love that it isn't what you expect, despite bearing the irritating hallmarks of all American fiction (a bloody quest).

Scott Pilgrim - recently re-read this and had forgotten how awesome and lovely this is.

Marvels - Kurt Busiek and Alex Ross kick start the modern era of comic book storytelling and tell the entirety of Marvel history in very deft strokes indeed. Does its job so well that you don't need to read any other superhero comics ever again.

Tank Girl - Hewlett & Martin's original run from Deadline is a brilliant chaotic bunch of sexy, sweary, violent nonsense. The two Vertigo series that closed the original run (The Odyssey and Apocalypse) are disappointing, mainly due to a lack of involvement by both Jamie Hewlett and Alan Martin (the latter curiously absent from these two series).

Ghost Rider (volume 2) Although still to be collected in its entirety, the 1990s adventures of Danny Ketch are still my favourite era of GR (followed very closely by Robbie Reyes). The series does lose its way between 1992 - 1994 when its mired in a load of largely terrible crossovers (including a rather feeble origin story from Howard Mackie whom plumps for a terrible soap opera ending of revealing Johnny Blaze - here in his '40s, at least - and Danny - approx age 19 and definitely not ginger are,er, brothers). The series has a huge upswing in quality when Ivan Velez Jr comes on board as writer with #70, giving the cast some much needed character development and ignoring Mackie's rubbish supernatural hokum origin for a fresh new take that's infinitely more interesting, depsite being a continuity nightmare. Sadly, Velez never got a chance to fulfill his vision for the series due to it being axed by Marvel whilst they were operating under Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Tied in tenth place (hey, its my list) ...

Death Sentence - one of the few decent things to come out of Mark Millar's Clint magazine, Nero and Dowling's book takes a wonderfully British look at superpowers - they give their owners six months to live. Russel Brand is also the villain.

Bone - Jeff Smith's excellent Disney/ Tolkien hybrid (my lazy comparrison) is still brilliant.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote