View Single Post
Old 2015-09-09, 04:18 PM   #13
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuro View Post
I've been watching a lot of 80's cartoons lately and despite it's shortcomings, I still think Transformers is one of the better ones - although that might say more about the competition than it does about Transformers.
Surprisingly, I think that's true. When I've attempted to watch stuff like Thundercats or He-Man, they were so bad that I just couldn't do it. Transformers at least makes for decent background noise, and some episodes are perilously close to being good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Which makes it feel as if it was written by someone else than the person who did the really painful scripting in the rest of it. "Look, a meteorite!" "Another one!" "They're going to collide!", what is this, audio description for the blind?
In spite of all of that, it was a really good introduction to the characters and the universe -- a million times better than what the comic managed with their intro miniseries, to be sure. I really loved that the writers took the time to feature so many characters. I'd say at least 80% of the cast at least got a moment to show off their personality and/or special abilities. They made the likes of Hound, Cliffjumper, Mirage (like you say, him saving the day instead of Prime is a great twist), Trailbreaker, Huffer, Reflector, Skywarp and co. feel like people for a moment instead of just scene-fillers. Unfortunately that's something that the cartoon lost track of really quickly, because after the next few episodes the cast slowly shrunk down to Prime, Bumblebee, Jazz, Ironhide, Megatron, Starscream and a bunch of interchangable nobodies who only showed up when the plot called for their weapon/abilities/knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan F View Post
I think it would have nice if they'd have had an ethic minority regular character as well. Spike, Sparkplug, Daniel, Carly, Marissa Faireborn, Chip... The Transformers are colourful but their human friends are not! At least in the comics we had Walter Barnett and the chat show host woman in Wrestling/King Con.
I can see why you'd say that, but on the other hand...Carbombya. The Sunbow crew didn't exactly have a good track record when it comes to minorities and I'm pretty sure any recurring minority allies would have been written as lazy stereotypes.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote