View Single Post
Old 2015-09-29, 09:04 PM   #8
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Torpedoes that are supposed to be insanely advanced and which no one will let him look at and which they're going to use to bomb the shit out of a region on the homeworld of a race who don't need much of an excuse to start a beef with Star Fleet. All sensible warning signs and it's only Kirk being out for revenge for Pike that makes him initially not see it.
Right, and "We're going to senselessly bomb Quo'nos!" would be a reasonable thing to get upset about. "I'm not allowed to tinker with the equipment we're going to use to senselessly bomb Quo'nos", less so.

Quote:
Yeah, I mean who would want a psychiatrist dressed like that? Who could read your thoughts? Barcley reacted in the only sane way to being confronted with that.
And it's not only the patients who would be uncomfortable. Deanna must have had super thick skin to not be bothered by all the patients ogling her while she was trying to work. Though I suppose she'd have to be used to it, considering Betazoid culture in general and her own mother's behaviour.

Quote:
Yah, the FC uniforms generally looked better on everyone that the previous efforts, and in the case of the women though they were clearly tighter than those of the men they managed to still look like something you'd wear to work.
The First Contact-style uniforms are one of the few Trek costume styles that I actually like, to be honest. The TOS ones just look like casual wear and the early TNG skin-tight stuff were just awkward. The late TNG stuff looked good but were a bit too stiff and formal (Geordi looks ridiculous crawling through the Jefferies Tubes in the things), and you could say the same for the gorgeous-but-impractical red outfits from the later TOS films. The early DS9/Voyager uniforms had potential as futuristic work-overalls, but they were cut weird and didn't wind up looking all that practical -- I think the Enterprise uniforms finally managed to pull off the look they were going for with these.

The First Contact outfits are a happy medium for me. They look dressy, but not uncomfortable or impractical.

(I honestly don't remember what the TMP uniforms even look like.)

Quote:
All the women's uniform's (unless they were very old) were still the catsuit version though (to be fair, lower ranking men stayed in them after season 3 switched to the two piece as well. But if any had a decent role--Barcley, O'Brien, Wesley after his totally random promotion--they'd get the newer uniform automatically whilst Ro, Crusher and post Jellico Troi didn't), it's gratuitously sexist but leaves her with more dignity than Troi's catsuits ever did her.
I'm pretty sure I saw a few female extras wandering around in male-cut uniforms from time to time, but I'd imagine that's just because they stuffed the extras into whatever fit and didn't think too much about it.

I never really noticed that Ro and Crusher weren't wearing the looser-cut outfits until this last watch-through, but Shelby's really bothered me. I think I just noticed it because she wasn't as...statuesque as most of the recurring female cast.

Quote:
Yeah, shows like Redemption make it clear he'd be in his element bossing lots of ships about. A promotion to Admiral for him and Riker carrying on as Captain of the Enterprise with them teaming up every couple of years for a film would have made much more sense.
That probably would have been the way to go after Generations, I agree. I don't think it would have even changed the plot of the following movies all that much. It would have been a tad more difficult to get Picard involved in First Contact if he wasn't captain of his own ship, but Insurrection and Nemesis both start off with diplomatic missions that a flag officer would plausibly be assigned to.

Oh, and I just remembered another reason why Insurrection was hopelessly stupid -- they spent all that time dicking around on a backwards nothing planet while the Federation was embroiled in a desperate war for its own survival against the Dominion. You couldn't even handwave it as "no, no, it's being released in the same year as season 6/7 of DS9 but it's actually set a few years before" because they actively call it out. I mean, hell, the Breen are bombing San Francisco and the Jem'hadar are rampaging across Betazed. Don't you guys have better things to do?

Quote:
Mind, Generations is a bloody awful film for Picard. I don't know if it was Moore's TOS fanboy tendencies making him overwrite Kirk as The Best or Shatner's demands, but the whole film gives them an insanely unbalanced relationship. Picard is more than Kirk's equal and their team up should have been level pegging but instead Kirk is just so much better in every way.
Honestly I think the movie treats Kirk like shit too. He starts off as a useless old man and segues into trying to live in denial in a fantasy world before dying like a bitch at the hands of a nobody. The fact that Picard somehow winds up looking worse than this washed-up old coot only solidifies how bad a movie this was.

It's weird because the TV series never paid homage to the TOS characters who showed up. McCoy doesn't really count since he was a throwaway cameo, but Scotty came out looking like Geordi's equal rather than his superior and Spock was actually put in his place by Picard in a way that Kirk never, ever would have been able to do. They respected the characters, but they didn't worship them the way Generations did.

Quote:
Picard sits around cring and living a bizare Victorian fantasy and needs help to punch an old man.

Kirk's ultimate fantasy is to ruggedly chop wood up in the mountains.
Right, this right here illustrates what I was saying before. Kirk wants to live his life as a rugged pioneer, while Picard wants to build a happy, orderly family for himself (and what was Picard in the series if not a strict father to his crew?) Kirk needs to constantly be running away from responsibility (beyond the wellbeing of himself and his crew) and civilization to live the life he wants. But Picard could be happy anywhere as long as he's surrounded by the people he cares about, and he loves responsibility and administrative duties.

Quote:
Yeah, she might have improved if she'd stayed on the show as the other weak links did, but she really doesn't have the clout to carry Lead Villain status. All her reveal does is drag down the pace of Redemption 2 as the plot has to stop for ten minutes so she can be explained. And then Picard just goes "Well, it doesn't matter" and it never gets mentioned again. Ten minutes later Worf sees her on TV and doesn't even react!
I did enjoy seeing her utterly shut down by Picard, Data and Spock, though. She deserved it for being phenomenally stupid.

Quote:
I suppose if they'd just kept him That Bloke (and the Khan reveal is one of the weak areas of the film because it doesn't really explain who he is, the natural reaction to "I AM KHAN!" is "Err, great") people would just moan that having a super strong villain was just a Khan ripoff regardless of any other differences.
Eh. Nearly every alien on Star Trek is super-strong. Just make him part Vulcan or Klingon and call it a day.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote