View Single Post
Old 2015-10-07, 05:51 PM   #10
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
I suppose the idea is humans are now evolved beyond having a perv... Well except for Riker. And Worf that time he oggled Vash. And Robin Leffler when she was checking out Wesley. And that woman ensign in Encounter at Farpoint who is really keen to show Riker how to use her interface...
Actually, given the way early TNG seemed to be mainly about Roddenberry wish-fulfillment, he probably intended that people had "evolved" beyond being bothered when he people ogled them rather than the reverse.

Quote:
I suppose you could argue the FC outfits are a bit dark considering Trek's general reputation for colour, but yeah, I do like them.
A bit dark, for sure. But they've got a good mix of function, formality and looks that nothing else from the franchise can really match.

Quote:
Of course, in the perfectly controlled environment of a spaceship a simple jumpsuit is probably all you'd need (though Star Fleet have a real problem with appropriate clothing for different missions and environments, how many time across all the shows do characters go on stealth missions in their brightly coloured costumes?).
Occasionally they'd introduce other mission-specialty uniforms, like the black combat jumpsuits from late DS9 or the engineering jumpsuits in TNG, but all that ever did was make the 95% of missions where they went out in their fancy uniforms stand out all the more.

Quote:
Shelby was fantastic, how the hell did we get Laxwana every year but not one return appearance from her?
Barrett being married to Roddenberry probably helped. I mean, she was probably on-set every week trying to keep him from boning the extras anyway, in the early years...

Shelby was fantastic, though. I've always wondered was how the later seasons of TNG would have turned out in an alternate universe where Patrick Stewart didn't manage to hash out a new contract and Picard was killed off for real. The Enterprise would have been a very different place with Captain Riker and Commander Shelby as the leads...

Quote:
I can see why they did Insurrection as a stand alone film. Even allowing for the fact that DS9 was a lot less popular than TNG so even a majority of the American audience wouldn't know about the Dominion War, in pre-streaming days a film dependent on international box office couldn't really tie into the plot of a series that was being broadcast at different rates all over the world. I think when it came out Sky was roughly up to speed with DS9 (maybe a few weeks behind?), but for those of us dependent on BBC2 the film would have been our first introduction to the Dominion War. Doing a standalone made more sense in terms of audiences.
But they tossed in just enough references to the war to make it feel weird. If Crazy Admiral #872 doesn't go on about how the Federation needs to screw over the Space Elves because it'd help with the war effort (...how, exactly?) or talk about how the Son'a are vital wartime allies, it would be easy to assume that it was set before or after the war (which only lasted, what, two years?) Especially now that enough time has passed that most people don't remember it was released during the last couple years of DS9. But by explicitly setting it during the war, the movie lives in this weird corner where dicking around spying on a handful of hippies and trying to steal their pixie dust is somehow more important than the conflict that sees core Federation members occupied and bombarded from orbit with regularity.

Quote:
Or you know, at least mention Worf's been having a bad time of it.
This really stuck out too. Like...his wife just died a few months ago and nobody even offers him condolences. Though none of the Enterprise crew were invited to the wedding, so I suppose they might still be a bit pissy over that...

Quote:
IIRC Michael Piller did ask Behr about doing some sort of crossover with the War in DS9, but was told it would probably be over by the time the film came out. Considering how pissed he was about the treatment of the Defiant in FC I wouldn't be surprised in Behr just lied so he could carry on just doing his own thing.
Can't say that I'd blame him, honestly.

Speaking of the Defiant and First Contact, am I the only one who'll forever be disappointed that they didn't use that as an excuse to rope O'Brien into a TNG movie? I know he wasn't main cast, but he was just as important to the really good middle seasons as Crusher or Geordi. And, hell, they managed to fit Barclay in... It was also sort of a shame that Guinan never did anything after Generations, though the Enterprise-E didn't really seem to have a civilian complement on it the way the old Galaxy-class ship did. But how much more meaning would that Ahab speech have carried if it came from Picard's old friend instead of some random chick that they picked up the night before?

And on a similar note, I know that Forbes turned down a starring role on DS9 because she didn't want to commit to a series for seven years, but I really wish they'd been able to bring Ro in for a guest shot every once in a while. She and Kira would have gotten along like a house on fire.

Quote:
The "Have you considered another career?" line is the best bit of the two parter.
Deadpan Spock at his finest.

Quote:
There are fans who, even now, say Selar should have been the lead villain in Nemesis. Which is akin to those G1ers who insist what's really wrong with the Bay films is they're not a direct remake of the '86 movie. I mean, whatever problems Nemesis has, Tom Hardy's performance isn't one of them and the idea that having Lois and Clark semi-regular Crosby as the main baddy rather than someone who has gone on to be a well liked big Hollywood star is silly.
I wouldn't have been upset to see Sela appear in the film, but certainly not as the lead. She just wasn't good enough to carry it off. Swapping her in instead of Donatra, on the other hand, would have been cool.

Quote:
Nero was a Romulan and everyone still called him a cheap Khan knock off.
Which he wasn't, not even a little. If anything, he felt like a character that wandered out of 24...

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote