View Single Post
Old 2015-10-24, 01:29 AM   #48
Cyberstrike nTo
Primus

In the Dead Universe known as Indianapolis
Smile My favorite ST episodes from each series and why. Enjoy!

Sta Trek: Enterprise-"Stigma" One of my problems with this series was Archer always trying to have the high moral ground with the Vulcans and usually failing miserably at it. Here he does have it. T'Pol has a rare disease that she got mind melding with a Vulcan from an earlier episode and in the Enterprise era mind melding is the more or less the Vulcan version of gay sex (also only a few Vulcans can actually do a mind meld). The disease T'Pol has can only be transmitted by mind melding and if Vulcan High Command finds out she has it she will be relieved of duty and be disgraced. Dr. Plox tries to find out if the Vulcans have any new treatments and the Vulcans aren't willing to talk. Eventually the Vulcans do find out and Archer goes to bat for T'Pol and give the Vulcans a much needed lecture about tolerance and getting over fear. The nice thing about this episode is that while T'Pol stays on the ship, the fear of mind melding isn't resolved and really nobody wins in this episode. I also like T'Pol admitting that she doesn't want sympathy from the Vulcans because some thinks she's a "victim" (one could say she was mind raped by the Vulcan in the earlier episode) and that while she doesn't have the mind melding ablity she does stand up for them. I don't recall any Star Trek episode from any series dealing with this many subjects at one time.
Honorable mentions: "Judgement" and "First Flight"

Star Trek "City On The Edge of Forever" This is arguably the greatest episode of the original series. While navigating some waves in spacetime McCoy accidentally injects himself with a powerful drug that drives him nuts and escapes to a nearby planet Kirk, Spock, and a landing party beam down and subdue him temporarily Kirk and company meet the Guardian of Forever a being that can send them back in time. Kirk comes up with a daring plan go back in time and prevent the accident, unfortunately McCoy recovers and in his drugged out state jumps through the portal and changes history that wipes out the timeline leaving only Kirk, Spock, and the landing party as the only ones left to fix the timeline. So Kirk and Spock go back through time near where McCoy jumped and find themselves in the late 1920s. They find lodgings at a shelter ran by a woman named Edith Keeler (played by Joan Collins) who dreams and talks of a future similar to one where Kirk, Spock, and McCoy all come from. While Kirk woos Edith, she also finds the drug crazed McCoy and nurses him back to health. Of course Kirk falls in love with her and Spock builds a primitive computer to get readings out of his Tricorder and learns of two futures for Edith one where she dies and one where she lives, meets FDR and convinces him not to enter WWII and the Nazis gets the A-Bomb before America does. To put history back on track Edith has die. When Edith reveals to Kirk that she's been taking care of McCoy and the two friends reunite Edith crosses the street to join them and is hit by a truck, while Kirk holds McCoy back. The trio return to the future and find everything is back on track. One of the most dramatic and funniest episodes of Shatner and Collins have great chemistry and you really do believe that Kirk would fall for her. Some of the humor of Kirk trying to tell a cop about Spock's ears and Spock complaining about building a computer out sticks and stones are still funny.
Honorable mentions: "Bread and Circuses" and "The Trouble With Tribbles"

Star Trek: The Next Generation "Best of Both Worlds parts 1 and 2" The Borg make their first real attack against the Federation and Captain Picard is captured and turned into the Borg known as Locutus, and Field Captain Riker has to stop his Captain, mentor, and friend at any cost while dealing with an ambitious young Commander who wants his job. This has to be the greatest cliffhanger in the history of the franchise and while the Borg drones and sets here don't look as scary and/or impressive as they would later on in Star Trek: First Contact and Star Trek: Voyager, the makeup on Patrick Stewart as Locutus is still looks impressive. This is two-parter changed the franchise in so many ways The Battle at Wolf 359 would be a huge part of Sisko's life in DS9, it made the Borg a dangerous foe that would haunt the series for years to come. It showed that Picard had a dark side to his nature. And more importantly it showed that Star Trek: The Next Generation had finally come into it's own as a series. All the cast gave 200% in these two episodes.
Honorable mentions: "The Inner Light" and "Time's Arrow parts 1 and 2"

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine-"The Visitor" For me personally this is the greatest episode of any show of all time. It's been since I first saw it and it still is. Captain Sisko takes his son and the crew on the USS Defiant to see the wormhole do something it only does every 50 years when an energy discharge damages the ship and the Siskos' attempt to save the ship blows Captain Sisko in a pocket dimension and leaves everyone thinking he's dead. His son Jake in his late 20s/early 30s played brilliantly by Tony Todd finds out the truth and devotes the rest of his life to save his father ending when old Jake dies in the future this sends Ben back in time and this time around he stops the accident from happening. This is one of those episodes that hits me like a sledgehammer to face because my mother died and as a result I'm very close to my father and losing him is a constant fear and I like the nice change of the child dying to save a parent. This is Tony Todd's best performance in the Star Trek franchise (he played Worf's brother, an alien hunter on Voyager among others). Cirroc Lofton who was the series regular who played Jake Sisko gives a great performance in his own right.
Honorable mentions: "Trials and Tribb-lations" and "What You Leave Behind parts 1 and 2"

Star Trek: Voyager-"Living Witness" The Doctor is activated on alien world 700 years in the future and finds that the two races that live on this world have a dark view of the crew of Voyager. Janeway's a cruel cold hearted bitch, Chakotay and Kim beat prisoners, and the Doctor is an android that coldly comments war crimes and Seven is Borg drone with her own attack squad under Janeway's command. As the Doctor tells the historian that reactivated him the truth and he begins to see that his entire history might be wrong, but before they can attempt to change the minds of the people on this world simmering racial tensions between the two races boil over into a race riot and the Doctor begs the historian to deactivate him for good and the historian refuses and they both begin to look for the medical tricorder that can prove the Doctor's word. Then hundreds of years later a group of both alien races learn that after the riots the two races began to work out their differences in peace with the Doctor's help and this ushered in a peace of happiness for both of the alien races after spending some time there as the head of their medical unit, the Doctor left to find out the fate of Voyager and see if his friends ever made back it home. This is the closest that Star Trek: Voyager ever did to a "Mirror Universe" story and I have to say "evil" Janeway looked hot with her short hair. I also loved the twist at the end. Including that the Doctor on the alien world was a back-up of his program (or they had a back-up on the ship so either way Robert Picardo wasn't leaving the show). The idea of showing Voyager's effect on the Delta Quadrant in the far future was a cool idea and to me the ending of this episode sums up perfectly what Star Trek is all about.
Honorable mentions: "Infinite Regress" and "Future's End parts 1 and 2"

The X-WCW a fun site for fun people.
Cyberstrike nTo is offline   Reply With Quote