View Single Post
Old 2015-10-25, 05:58 AM   #49
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Will have to have a think on favourite episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I was shocked when I found out how young Patrick Stewart was at the start of TNG. As a youngster I figured him for, like, sixty and the poor man wasn't even fifty yet. But then he didn't age a day for two decades, so I suppose he won out in the end.
He basically still looks the same now, it's just the way he moves and talks in a much slower (and by the sound of it, denchers) way that gives away the fact he's well into his 70's. It's much the same way that Christopher Lloyd, though looking surprisingly like old Doc Brown when he had the wig on, is clearly much more of a dodgery and forgetful old man than he ever played the character in that Jimmy Kimmel sketch from the middle of the week.

Quote:
Oh, he was definitely playing him. Picard usually wouldn't have been vulnerable to that sort of manipulation, but he was already so uncomfortable about forcing the colonists from their homes that he left himself uncharacteristically open to it.
Of course, Picard does have an intense sense of family pride (if he can trace his family back to Trafalgar--though why that would be something to be proud of for a French family I've no idea, you'd think the writers' thought he was English--an extra 100 years doesn't mean much), which makes the fact he's hearing about this for the first time and is surprised by it even funnier.

Quote:
Well, looks-wise it definitely comes off as a contemporary to the Galaxy-class. The saucer, deflector and nacelles are all but identical. If it was meant to be an older design, those probably would have been patterned after the Enterprise-C instead. Bits of barely-seen info like the ships' dedication plaques also seem to indicate that they were built around the same time as their larger counterparts (notably, the one that Data commanded was apparently only built the year before, sinking my long-held "Picard's fleet were ships that were damaged at Wolf 359" theory).
Get you, paying attention to dedication plaques. You nerd.

Modern navy carriers can have a long period of service, the real Enterprise as featured in Star Trek IV was on active duty for 50 years so super advanced starships managing another 30 isn't so far fetched.

I do wonder what happened to the Constitution Class, they're the work horse of Star Fleet during the original series (there's not even a hint of them having another type of large ship), yet they almost completely vanish from the films onwards. The Enterprise herself is only twenty (though if Space Seed was 15 years earlier and The Cage 11 before that it's closer to 30 despite what Admiral man says) when they retire her, which seems positively young for a Federation ship and comes only a few years after a major and expensive refit.

Whilst they'd be pushing it to survive into the TNG era (though even when they were filming The Battle, The Stargazer was going to be one. It's a "Constellation" class because that matched the mouth movement when they redubbed after deciding to kitbash a new ship) you think there'd at least be a lot hanging around Space Dock in the films.

Quote:
and only had "Enterprise" slapped on at the last minute after they foolishly let Troi drive the old one.
I don't see what was foolish about letting Troi fly. It's not as if there's lots of scared and terrified civillians and children on the saucer section who could do with her help right there and then. And it's not as if the single best pilot on the ship is sat in the captain's chair just a few feet behind her and could easily have just jumped into the seat himself.

Quote:
(On a similar note, I hope Brazilians hadn't been lobbying Starfleet command to name a ship "Sao Paulo" for very long...)
As powerful as the destruction of the original Defiant was, it's instant replacement with an identical ship (even down to the registration number! Speaking of which, I'd be willing to let the silliness of the "Add a letter to the end of 1701 for each new Enterprise" pass despite it making no sense for any logical registry system if not for the fact the Yamato--and only the first time we saw her--was the only other Federation ship we ever saw do the same despite the constant reuse of ship names) was a pretty bad fumbled moment.

Along with the Breen basically adding nothing to the final arc beyond a new gun either the Cardassians or Dominion could have developed themselves (all those hints and mysteries basically come to nothing. All they contribute is pissing of Damar).

Oh, and the way the two plots of What You Leave Behind don't connect to each other at all so you have oddities like the fact Winn would have to be standing of Dukat's dead body chanting for days whilst she's waiting for the war plot to end.

Quote:
Yeah, it certainly got to seem like the Ferengi had known Hu-mons for a lot longer than humans knew them. Picard and co. didn't even know what they looked like!
Oddly as contrived and desperate as it was (say no names!), I quite enjoyed the Ferengi episode of Enterprise. I mean, it made Archer look even more of an idiot than usual, but it was fun.

I actually really liked the Borg episode as well. It did something similar to what Doctor Who would do with Daleks when it came back a few years later, restoring the power and threat to a much diminished enemy by just showing how dangerous and scary just a couple (or one in the Dalek case) can be. The fact they quickly assimilate their way up to having a ship nearly the equal of the NX01 and very clearly would have surpassed it if they'd have just a little more time gives them a lot of their teeth back.

Quote:
It's a shame actually...as much as I love the comedy ultra-capitalist Ferengi that DS9 gave us, the idea of a powerful alien empire that the Federation only knew through rumour was an interesting one. Seeing Starfleet and the Ferengi expanding into the same regions of space, building towards a first contact confrontation that neither of them really wanted but both knew were inevitable, would have been cool.
That's basically what they did again, much more successfully, with the Dominion isn't it? Their pressence is built up slowly over season 2 (amusingly starting with a comedy Ferengi episode).

Quote:
You know, if the Ferengi had been treated with any respect at all by the writers. How much crack must Gene have been smoking to think they would have been taken seriously as an adversary?
Wasn't he keen on the Ferengi having massive cocks? Says it all really.

Quote:
Did they ever say why they didn't use them? I'm actually quite fond of that look...they're like a blending of the TNG and TWOK designs. They're more "dress uniform" than "everyday attire", but it would have been nice to see them at some point.
Officially because they thought entirely new uniforms would have been one new thing too many for viewers to cope with. Though I suspect that's just a polite way of avoiding saying "We thought they were awful".

They do seem to have been very worried that the TV uniforms wouldn't stand up on the cinema screen (and you can see the zip in the back a lot more often in HD. Though as they obviously join up on the back anyway even when you can't see the zip I've often wondered how the characters were supposed to put them on without help), much as there was with the sets.

Though I actually really like the lighting in Generations, it's not as ridiculously dark as people say (the bridge isn't as brightly lit as the TV show but equally it's not so dim you can't see what's going on), the really dark sets tend to have a reason (Picard's got the lights off in his ready room and quarters because he's in a sad broody mood) and it's the only part of the film that actually feels like a film.

Though the Enterprise D being so well lit in the space shots does make the odd reuse of a flyby from Encounter At Farpoint stand out all the more.

Quote:
It's especially silly twenty years on, since we've got better vision prosthetics right now than they apparently will 300 years in the future (albeit still highly experimental).
It's the same with Captain Pike, Stephen Hawking can go on chatshows, Pike has a lightbulb.

Quote:
I always thought he did, until I read a few books that said he didn't. Then I went back and looked at some screenshots, and it does indeed look like he's got the implants in Nemesis. According to Memory Alpha he knew that he'd loose his eyes again if they stopped the Son'a, but I don't remember anything at all like that in the movie itself and don't feel like dragging out my VCR from the basement and watching the movie on tape to find out.
Wow, that's amazing, I guess Burton must not get a good close up in the whole film then as I've never noticed that. Which is quite poor for a film that is forced to be shot in a lot of tight close ups because they sets aren't big enough to put the camera too far back (it's fun on one of the making of bits on the blu ray to see them trying to force all the panels that make up the walls of the engineering set into the much smaller studio space than the previous two films enjoyed).

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote