View Single Post
Old 2016-04-29, 04:09 PM   #531
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
I think I understand better now, even if I still disagree. I just don't personally see new Generations figures as completely overriding previous stuff; I see it as purely additive. As such, I'm just not concerned with details getting fudged or rearranged with new iterations of old characters if the new stuff looks nice in its own right. But if you're wanting new figures to adhere more closely to the old G1 designs, I can see that being defensible as probably 80% of Classics 2006-2016 stays reasonably close to the mark.
It's not about adhering to the G1 designs per se, but I do see the toys as representations of a character first and foremost. So I like it when the toys keep whatever features I associate with whatever version of the character I best remember, whether that be based on the fiction, the toys I had as a kid or something else entirely.

With some that means I prefer the original designs, and with others something different. I'll always think of Sideswipe as a black car first and foremost and the G2 versions of Skydive, Air Raid and Slingshot are the default for me as well. But for guys like Chromedome, Whirl, Swerve or Tailgate the modern IDW versions are what come to mind first. And I'll always feel a bit sad that no new Jazz, Grimlock, Bumblebee or Starscream ever gets to be a Pretender. But for most of the Headmasters, it's the G1 bodies and gimmicks that I remember best, so that's what I'd like to get toys of.

Obviously it'd be impossible to make a toyline that satisfies me completely unless I was the one in charge of it, and that's fine. I've actually got quite a few figures that I enjoy a lot even though I don't really agree with the "philosophy" behind them, like Universe Onslaught and Generations Skullgrin. Doesn't stop me from wanting to see the characters done the way I would do them, though.

Quote:
The perfect examples for me are Cyclonus and Scourge. Cyclonus (2008) stays very close to the original design and even sneaks in a nod to the way the Targetmasters connected in the Headmasters cartoon. In contrast, Scourge (2010) is way different from the original design and isn't a Targetmaster like Cyclonus, but I don't care because it's awesome. I suppose that's the metric I use most of the time: if the new figure homage is neat in its own way, I don't really mind if it strays wildly.
I'm actually a pretty big fan of that Scourge myself. Though that's probably because I think the original Scourge was butt-ugly. I do kinda wish he'd come with Fracas, though.

Also, with guys like Scourge I think it's a bit easier for me to get on board with different interpretations because I know it's not the only modern toy they're ever going to get. If I don't like the one that's out this year, I know that there's going to be another in a few years.

Guys from 1987 and on get a lot less attention from Hasbro (well, before this year anyway), and if the odds of them getting a new toy to begin with aren't great, the odds of them getting redone are even slimmer. So I'd definitely prefer if the toys they did get were a "definitive" version of them, like a lot of this year's Headmasters or the Scoop from a few years' back, rather than reimagined.

Quote:
Inasmuch, I can see the 1988 Headmasters done later in a follow up line as much more plausible than the combining teams.
I really don't think so. The combiner teams (both as characters and a gimmick) are a lot more popular than Headmasters, in general, and I think that raises the odds of seeing more teams in the future. They probably won't be CW-compatible, and that'll suck, but eventually Hasbro's going to make a Predaking or a Piranacon or whatever because the fans keep demanding it. Will the second-wave Headmasters have the same demand? We'll see, but I'd be surprised.

Quote:
Too soon to pine. We got Betatron before two different Computrons, after all.
A last-minute box set of half-assed redecos doesn't exactly give me much hope, to be honest. They could probably get out a Nightbeat, Siren and Fangry that way, but it's not like there's another Headmaster crab or ape/jet triplechanger they can just slap a new coat of paint on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
Titan Returns' gimmick focuses on headmasters yes, but if they follow that to the letter for the characters that were HM, they'd do away with their favourite, crowd-recoginzable A-listers.
Sure, and I don't begrudge them for getting in an Optimus, Megatron, Soundwave or the like. It makes sense to always have some recognizable faces available. But Sentinel Prime, Astrotrain, Alpha Trion, Scourge, Blurr, Doublecross, Getaway, Triggerhappy? Those are hardly A-listers. Some of them are recognizable supporting cast and others are utter nobodies. It's weird to fit in guys like Blurr and Scourge over equally well known Headmasters like Nightbeat and Arcee, but it's flat-out silly to make a Headmaster Triggerhappy ahead of them.

And that's not to say that Triggerhappy doesn't look cool, because he does. But him being in the line is utterly random.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
From what I've seen so far the HM gimmick does not seem to hinder any of the figures and does offer interchangeability, although let's be honest, besides trying it once for giggles, is anybody really going to display say, Galvatron with Sentinel Prime's head?
Display? Probably not. But it'll be fun to play around with!

Universally interchangeable heads is also a great feature for customizers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
Just so you all know, I'm keeping a list of everybody who's suggesting a new Fangry toy and if it happens I'm going to set you on fire.
But don't you want to be able to replicate that scene where Grimlock beat the piss out of him while all the other 'Cons stood around and laughed?

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote