View Single Post
Old 2016-06-13, 07:46 PM   #28
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
If I were him I'd be focusing more on building a wall so I don't have to look at Canada.
That would be great for us actually, since it would keep out the hordes of American illegal immigrants who are going to try and cross into Canada to find work if Trump actually does what he's promising and starts trade wars with every second country in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
yep, they're basically (very basically) half the government. All laws and policy has to go through and be ratified by them.
It's the same way here with the Senate (our dysfunctional government was modelled after yours -- thanks so much for that, by the way). But they rarely actually do anything, if that makes sense. 99.9% of the time they just rubber stamp whatever the House of Commons sends their way, and if they don't it's usually because whoever wrote the bill wrote something hilariously unconstitutional into it so it has to be sent back for amendments. So the only time we ever remember they exist is when a scandal happens -- expense fraud, bribery, that one creep challenging the guy who's now Prime Minister to a fist fight, that same guy turning out to be a sex offender to the surprise of absolutely nobody...

Unlike the queen, lots of people want to get rid of the Senate (myself included) if for no other reason than that they're embarrassing. If they were useless but behaved themselves, like her, I doubt anyone would care.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote