Thread: 80's and 90's
View Single Post
Old 2016-09-03, 09:13 PM   #34
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

I think what put the final nail in the coffin for me, at least as far as saturday morning cartoons are concerned, was the proliferation of badly animated CGI shows, as well as the increased use of dubbing instead of subtitles and realizing just how bad the Finnish TV cartoon dubs actually are.

When I was little in the early 90's, I think about half of the cartoons I watched were subtitled, which is par course for Finnish television in general; in fact, dubbing is pretty much reserved only for children's programming, but back then, you could still watch shows like Ducktales, Captain Planet and Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles with subtitles. In the 80's, a popular form of "dubbing" was more similar to the Lektor which is used in Poland and Russia, where a single narrator speaks everyone's lines - or just narrates the whole thing, while you could still hear the original audio faintly in the background. Fortunately, that had gone out of fashion by the time, but I could still catch it via re-runs and such.

Unfortunately, subbed kids' shows pretty much no longer exist on Finnish television - even the subscription channels that show re-runs of the shows I used to watch as a kid now show them dubbed.