View Single Post
Old 2017-05-24, 08:57 PM   #663
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Ah, didn't know that. I was just going by the comparison collage of the three figures on the big board. Barring that, I think you still know what I mean. It's not like the Warbot Defender that was made irrelevant by the official Springer or other similar cases; all the MP Sunstreakers look spot on (fragility aside) to what they're attempting, so the mass firesale of Sunsurges because "OMG OFFICIAL" is a bit disheartening. And I don't mean to sound like this is a sudden realization. It's just an example of, "oh, that again."
I can't wrap my head around the logic either. If Sunsurge was worth spending $100 or whatever on to begin with, then surely he's worth keeping? Especially since you'll probably be losing half of what you paid for it now that the cheaper official option has gutted demand for the 3P options. On the other hand, if it's so bad that zillions of people are dumping it at a loss the second a better option presents itself (And really, we don't even know that until someone has it in hand. Just judging from the pics Sunsurge still looks like the nicer choice.) then why did anyone buy it to begin with?

Are people really so insanely impatient that they'll spend three figures on a toy they don't actually like just so it can fill a spot on a shelf for a couple years, because they just can't wait for the official version to come out? Is that actually what's happening, or am I missing something here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunner View Post
I'm sure it's been expressed by others elsewhere on here, but I really can't understand the shift in aesthetic to cartoon accuracy with the MP line. The earlier releases took the best cues from the toy, cartoon and comic representations to give a definitive design, a true "Masterpiece". Are there really fans out there that want a shelf full of Sunbow Transformers? Who are the designers catering to?
As incomprehensible as it is to me...yeah, there really are. A ton of them. Honestly, I don't know how anyone could say with a straight face that the newer cartoon-slavish MPs are better than stuff like MP-10 or Soundwave or Sideswipe or Prowl. But a lot of of folks do. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

For me at least, it totally puts me off of the line. A big part of the appeal of the good MPs was that they looked like the 80s designs, but better. Like what the cartoon might have looked like if there was more budget and effort put into it. The new stuff has none of that extra polish, and more often than not it looks just as ugly as the source material. But a lot of people are absolutely giddy over it, saying that these are the toys they fantasized about having when they were little kids, so there's definitely a market.

Ah, well. At least they're making Beast Wars MPs for me now. At least with those the strict adherence to the dated, low-res CGI designs is kinda funny instead of depressing.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote