View Single Post
Old 2017-05-31, 03:42 PM   #674
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
Still like the Magnus and Rodimus clip on armour sets, they hit all of the right boxy and angular notes personally.
There's no accounting for taste, I suppose. I honestly think City Commander is the ugliest piece of Transformers-related merch I've ever seen. Protector is actually really nice, but never seemed to get the same hype as the Magnus kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
Get enough variety and mix together rather than doing original subgroups and what's out there mostly does, TBH. The original stuff is so massively eclectic anyway.
Agreed about the original stuff. It's a wonderful hodgepodge, so mixing and matching modern stuff is nothing if not fitting. I do like to clump bunches of similar stuff together, though. IMO having a few figures with the same general aesthetic together makes them look cooler than they would individually. I have a couple movie toys on one shelf, some shiny MP stuff on the next, then a few Headmasters, a couple combiners, some Beast Wars stuff, then some G1s. And of course small clusters of superhero and video game stuff mixed in here and there too. And in recent years my wife has started collecting dolls and plushes, making our living room look even more diverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
Well yes this should be obvious but this is Transformers fans we're talking about here.
True enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
Rumour going round at the mo that Sunstreaker's December with an Anime version Sideswipe in November. Info indicates that, while Sunstreaker is 12,000 yen, Sideswipe is only 8,500 yen.

Presumably something to do with Takara already having covered all their costs on the original Lambo mould so they can afford to put straight repaints out for cheaps.
I wouldn't call 8,500 anything near cheap! Tracks had an MSRP of something like 7,500 or 8,000 (Infuriatingly, different sites are claiming different list prices. Didn't they know I'd need this info for ranting purposes years later?) when he came out a year and a half ago, and he was considered a big step up from the prices of previous stuff, mostly because of the flight stand. I know Exhaust was around 7,000 before discounts when I ordered him. And earlier on, I'm pretty sure that the cars were retailing for 6,500ish. The old AmiAmi listings I found for Sideswipe and Red Alert show a list price of 6,264, for what it's worth.

12,000 for Sunstreaker is just obscene. We're talking about the price of these things doubling inside of five years, with absolutely zero increase in value for the extra money. If that's the new normal I doubt I'll ever by an official MP car again. Especially if the bootlegs continue to sell for a reasonable price while maintaining pretty good quality.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote