Thread: Lost Light #12
View Single Post
Old 2017-12-29, 08:21 AM   #1
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer
Default Lost Light #12

An issue originally scheduled for November just about squeaks in before the end of the year, featuring 2 artists and 3 colourists. Not sure if that was a design choice or by necessity but.... SPOILER THOUGHTS

It's an ok issue. Like much of Lost Light so far, things feel a little rushed but given the urgency of the actions in the issue some of that is by design. Some of that isn't though and in particular the star sabre reveal feels very rushed. Unless I missed something in the previous 2 issues, I can't think of anytime Getaway mentions being in contact with him and its odd that the lost light has travelled a huge distance but Star Sabre is able to rendezvous with them at short notice. Given how long Roberts seeds some things, this feels very out of place and reminds me a lot of Overlords cameo in the season 2 finale. At least here it looks like Star Sabre will stick around.

That gripe out of the way, also have to talk about the art - it seems under par to me. Maybe there were schedule conflicts or maybe re-writes / draws but neither artist puts there best foot forward. Lawrence reverts back to the more comical style from the early issues and its a step down from his work in the last issue. Griffiths work is simply below his standard. Also did not like the colouring of the Griffiths section - that whole part reminded me of the Galvatron Heart of Darkness mini (it's not that bad, just reminds me of it)

You might get the feeling I didn't like this issue but it's actual an ok to good issue. Some good moments overall and potentially some major deaths going on here (given that we have a small time jump as well as the discovery of cybertophia it is possible that some / all of these will be cancelled out which would be a mis step to me) Roberts keeps some interesting ideas floating about with the scavengers and the Getaway stuff is dark. We really never knew how awful a bot he was. The flipside to this is that it feels like the subtlety of the character is lost. He is an out and out psychotic bad guy by the end of this issue but I thought his justifiable mutiny back in season 2 was more interesting. Manipulative sure, but what he's doing in the last 3 issues is up there with any big bad we've come across.

Other characters get some nice moments too with First Aid doing nicely as everyday hero, reminds me of ratchet in the Furman run. Thunderclash continues to be revealed as all hype, Star Sabre is vicous as hell and Atomizer gets a (rushed) redemption point. But Getaway is the clear star. The subtlety is lost but the megalomania thats coming to the fore is equally interesting. His comeuppance should be good.
Red Dave Prime is online now   Reply With Quote