View Single Post
Old 2017-12-30, 01:06 PM   #86
One with the Matrix

Tbh, I can still get how casting a female Doctor is pandering to an extent. I wouldn't mind it if it felt more like there was a narrative drive for it (which, in fairness, there has been certainly in the last couple of series of Who) , but its been drowned out by all the clamour for it and just whiffs of caving to external pressures, whether that's frothing tabloid journalists or the BBC's own drive for diversity at all costs (especially in light of the horrendous publication of salaries it had to endure). That more than anything else has just made me unable to properly get behind the idea until very recently. It just feels like "There. We did it. Are you happy now?".

I think the only thing that Moffat has been a bit too reliant on is making his female leads somehow directly intertwined with the Doctor's life, which is why I think Bill was so refreshing - she wasn't stolen away at birth to become the Doctor's killer or key to being able to restart the Universe by having a life that didn't make sense, she was just herself and that was great.

Although I didn't much care for River Song and the Church Lady that got turned into a Dalek, I didn't mind them. Certainly not the latter, anyway who didn't stick around long enough for me to care. River is ostensibly a complex character and I don't think she was developed very well and really, what Moffat was trying to do with her, wasn't pulled off very well. There's too much to get into with that character and her complicated life and it just wasn't done very well. She really needed the sort of long-form storytelling you've get in a soap opera. Or her own show.

His worst offender for me was Clara. A character so thin and underdeveloped that her use as a plot point ultimately defines her, and it was a bit of a shame she came back for Capaldi's second series as her story was done and without any depth to her, there really wasn't any excitement for me at seeing her come back, despite Jenna Coleman giving it her all.

As for LOG, it's interesting that there's been such outrage for not only Barbara but also Papa Lazarou in the recent new episodes. Again, symptomatic of how times have changed etc etc but also that people can't recognise that some of these things are ripe for humour, whether you like it or not. LOG has always been a show about grotesques and caricatures of some of the very worst aspects of human behaviour, so to take offence at it seems very silly indeed. Or that you shouldn't be watching. And surely to God, if you're tuning in, you must have some idea of what you're letting yourself in for - the writing team does comprise people who wrote Psychoville and Inside No. 9!

I dunno, I just think people need to take a step back and think 'why is this upsetting me' before frothing at the gills about a work of fiction that they can take or leave.

There are somethings in life we absolutely should be bothered about; equality and education and health and our place in the world (especially here in the UK where Brexit is shaping up to be a right dogs breakfast, the government are seeking to curtail press freedom and have the sort of internet China does, amongst many many other deeply troubling issues), its good to be critical, but taking offence at works of fiction or cartoons or whatever the hell it is is aiming your ire in the wrong place.
Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote