View Single Post
Old 2018-04-01, 10:53 AM   #17
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

The reductions not being as massive straight away doesn't surprise me. When I worked retail and Office World retreated from the UK and Staples bought the UK OW operation, we phased the reductions in stock, only going for silly reductions on the very last day the store needed to be emptied ahead of its refurbishment / restocking as a Staples store.

Lego getting the lowest reduction in your stores isn't surprising - it's a toyline that is rarely discounted and any offers on it tend to be polybag bonus items or gift card/ points incentives than any actual reduction in price. The sales I've tended to see on Lego are where lines are being retired. Amazon's constant deals, I'll put down to their size and ubiquity - easy to take a dent on the RRP if it gets people shopping through you.

Watching my local TRU go through it's close down, it's been interesting to see what has been slowest to sell through. After Christmas, there was no restocking of the store and then the closure was announced. The remaining Lego sets they had (mainly CiTY, Creator and a handful of licensed things) went within a week - with no discount (ditto Sylvanian Families, which I found surprising - that stuff is never cheap), then the started introducing the phased discounting 25%, 30%, then up to 50% and finally up to 75%. On my last visit at the end of February, they had Star Wars and WWE figures, the larger Transformers Movie figures (Voyagers and Leaders) which just weren't shifting, plus some struggling smaller lines (Ghostbusters, Minions) and a lot of Monster High / Barbie remaining.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote