View Single Post
Old 2015-02-23, 10:03 PM   #45
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
Even when MP V2 Megatron is announced, I'm certain people will moan about it even before any pictures or price is shown.
You know it!

Quote:
With Tracks I think the S2 car bots are reaching an end
--Sadly I do not think we'll be seeing Skids, although I hope I'm dead wrong, Hoist pretty much depends on a Trailbreaker coming out, and I don't think Inferno and Hoist are ever coming. Am I forgetting anybody?
I don't know why you would necessarily count out Grapple, Hoist, Inferno or Skids. I mean, Takara isn't about to stop making the line while it's still profitable, and even the forgotten Autobot Cars are going to be bigger sellers than pretty much anyone else they could put out in the MP cars' size bracket.

I do think Kup, Blurr, a standalone Hot Rod and maybe Wreck-Gar would be considerations, but after that?

Quote:
And...is that it for the MP cars? That's like a year of releases at maximum...
Longer than that, surely? To date they've never released more than two new MP car molds in the same year. If Takara really do intend to shut down the line after the most profitable characters are done, they'll milk it for all it's worth and stretch it out for as long as they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post
As to first series G1 characters, there are still quite a few lacking the MP treatment, such as Skyfire.
That's true, but I think size is an issue for some of them. None of the remaining season one characters would fit into the relatively affordable price bracket that the cars occupy. The Dinobots would all be the size of Grimlock and MP-10, as would Shockwave and Skyfire. The Minibots, Insecticons and Reflector would all be smaller, and so far Takara's been pretty leery of small MPs (Bumblebee being the sole exception, since the cassettes are basically accessories). And the Constructicons would be a fairly monumental undertaking, since whether they were sold individually or not you'd have to design all six at once.

Which isn't to say that they won't make at least some of those characters, but they've wisely spread out the big, expensive figures and limited them to one or two per year. Shockwave, Skyfire, Slag, Sludge, Snarl, Swoop and the Constructicons would be three or four years' worth of "big MP" product all by themselves if Takara actually decided to do them all. And all the while they'd need something to fill out the rest of the line, which I think is where people start to get a bit antsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
Seems decent enough to me, although I skew heavily toward robot modes and it remains to be seen what QC is like --

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transf...-megatron.html
That's a good Megatron, don't get me wrong. And it's a big improvement on the looks of Takara's attempt. But it's still a long ways off from the "cartoon robot turns into the real-world alt-mode" feel that the MPs go for. The robot mode is pretty close, but the lower legs are messy and the upper arms are different from the boxy character design. And the gun mode has terrible proportions and doesn't look a thing like a Walther P-38. If this was an attempt at a Generations-style Megatron I'd call it a rousing success, but it misses the mark on the 80s accuracy that Masterpiece designs strive for.

The thing is, I don't actually see Takara even getting something this good. The only reason Apollyon's robot mode looks so good is because they didn't worry about making the gun look right. Judging by both the original and the MP, a P-38 just doesn't have enough mass in it to make a blocky robot like Megatron.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote