Closed Thread

Old 2003-01-31, 01:10 AM   #501
nmathew
Matrix Keeper

Bay Area

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheba
Geez man where ya been I coulda used your help
Strafe and I decided to hold the debate away from the current ones. Besides, I thought that the current debate was defending creationism, something I cannot do if I plan on ripping evolution apart using the methods I have planned. Strafe and I will need to open up with a discussion of the meaning of knowledge. It should be fun when he's recovered form this one

edit---------
C14 is created from high energy neutrons. Basically, these neutronc created by cosmic rays in the upper atmosphere slam into atoms, in this case nitrogen and messup the nuclei.

Radiochemistry and Nuclear Methods of Analysis, Ehmann p 383

Carbon14 has a half life of 5715 years, and decays through beta particle (electron) emission to create the stable element N15. The beta particle has a maximum energy of .157 keV, and there is no associated gamma ray with this decay.
Nuclides and Isotopes, Fifteenth Edition
Some GE publication for my chem170 class.

--nmathew

G91 says I'm now part of the old guard.

Last edited by nmathew; 2003-01-31 at 01:19 AM.
Old 2003-01-31, 01:18 AM   #502
Capt

West of Scotland Sanity: None

Quote:
Well right after he left for Nod, he "knew" his wife (in the carnal sense). And he did have a son named Enoch. Just because she wasn't mentioned earlier didn't mean she just popped into existence right then and there.

There was an old woman who lived in a shoe
She had so many children she didn't know what to do

Adam and Eve had a LOT of children. Shoot, it would probably take 66 books just to write all their names. But since they didn't do anything important, why mention them? Their existence is assumed. It does say Adam "begat sons and daughters."

Whatever. God spoke to people directly in those days. And stuff had to have been written down.
so, basically, the first chapters of genesis are non-linear?

But from what I can make out from Gen 4:12, Eve's next child after Abel was Seth - which was after Abel was killed.
No daughters are mentioned until after Seth (Gen 5:4)
I'll give that it' doesn't mention when Cain met/knew his wife, but it still doesn't sit with me...

Finally..."Whatever"
that's your arguement?
you, who seem to live by the bible, when it's not written, it's just true anyway because someone else's interpretation of the book says so?
Best reason I can come up with is, God was testing the 2 of them.
pitting them against each other just to see how his creations would handle.
it didn't work as planned...
Out of interest, when does the sacrificial lamb become scripture in it (which chapter?)

Capt
Abusing the English written language since the 1980s
Old 2003-01-31, 01:20 AM   #503
nmathew
Matrix Keeper

Bay Area

Oh yeah, so this isn't skipped over by me editing a previous post...

Sheba, do you still want a detailed explaination of why 2 radioactive elements decay at differing rates?

--nmathew

Old 2003-01-31, 01:25 AM   #504
Sheba
One with the Matrix

Sephiroth's Backyard
Default Re: Re: Re: great 'quotes' from the thread that people haven't noticed

Quote:
Originally posted by Capt
Well my point is either way you can't avoid inbreeding, so why the objection? Most animals do not share the human reaction to the idea. In short, they don't give a flying ****. And the prohibition against inbreeding didn't come until Moses. The reason being, by that time enough harmful mutations had developed to make the whole idea pretty unhealthy for any offspring.

no, the point isn't inbreeding...
it's the sheer speed that humanity managed to grow and cover the earth

TWICE!
Well considering there's a couple thousand of years before the Flood for that to happen the first time, along with people living a hell of a lot longer (how in blazes do you think dinos got so bloody big? They were OLD!!!) and having more kids than people tend to have now, what's the problem?

In a boundless INFINITE universe, ANY point is as good as another for the "center." Plus, the original Hebrew word doesn't mean "center" as in middle, but as in the focus of attention.
What do you mean, it doesn't "work"? Just because a translation might be a bit off doesn't mean the original isn't all good.

I'll say it's a long time since you did chemistry! Otherwise you'd recall that C-14 does NOT decay into C-12, but rather it decays into the gas NITROGEN--from whence it came!

Quote:
not sure if that is the actual case, but I have discovered I got carbon dating wrong...
carbon dating works on the ration of C14 to C12
(so, yes, it may very well decay into nitrogen, but I'm not sure if that was the issue...the issue was the decay causing the universe to melt...)
The point is, that they said that if some of the other elements had shorter half-lives, that the heat would do something. Like melt the earth, or make it inhospitable to life. Whatever.

Could have been ice. After all, don't scientists tell us that comets are merely "dirty snowballs"?

Quote:
You're arguing with something I wasn't complaining about?!
jebus...
Well how was I supposed to know? Anyway, other people complained about it.

Yes I know all about the wrong-headed "Brontosaurus"--that's why they call it Apatosaurus now. Which makes one wonder, what other fossils were ill-combined?

Quote:
but, how many weren't is also a valid question
True, but how does one know?

well for some reason it was NOT working as is. Did it work for you?

Quote:
Every time, yes, the link worked - unless you posted it
Well that's strange cuz it didn't work when Strafe posted it.

Just because something is possible doesn't mean it necessarily happened.
Quote:

why can't you accept that with creationism?
I've not seen you yet say it may not have happened
I'll personally say I don't know what happened.
But it was WRITTEN DOWN!!!!!!!
Quote:

My prefered belief is the mixture - but 'god' is not a one of a kind.
a 'nice' thought, brought on by Memnoch (which you probably find blasphemous) is that existance is nothing more than an experiment, and Satan isn't evil, but instead trying to help souls into heaven.
(I think in Memnoch, the Sodom and Gomorrah idea of finding x number of good people was used, but by the devil trying to find worthy souls to ascend into Heaven)
Actually, since Satan is condemned, it's his goal to make sure as many people as possible don't get into heaven. Misery loves company.

The Sabbath was changed to Sunday because that was the day Christ rose from the dead. The number of the day wasn't important; it was the observance that counted.

Quote:
so, we may very well be keeping the wrong day holy?
Just because Jesus was resurrected on that day, doesn't mean it was the same day that god supposedly rested
That doesn't matter. We could keep "Wednesday" as the Holy Day and it wouldn't matter--as long as we kept it. Jesus went to great effort to show that adhering to the letter of the law alone was not enough, but to adhere to it in spirit.

I saw it in a pamphlet called "The Ark Today" and seen reference to it in other books. I have not searched for it on the net, so I don't yet know of any links.

Quote:
Polite request, can you try?
OK I tried. What I wanted exactly isn't on the net, but here's the next best thing:
http://www.icr.org/pubs/imp/imp-214.htm

Because their ancestors knew it. The datings are wrong. The separation of languages occurred AFTER the Flood (tower of babel).
Quote:

legitimate question, where in the bible is Babel?
but, as asked above, do you have entomolgical evidence of Chinese writing (characters - that would also have been passed on to the Japanese, Korean, etc) of then experiencing the flood
Genesis chapter 11 all the way to verse 9. "Therefore the name of it is called "Babel", because the LORD confused the language of all the earth there. And the LORD scattered them abroad on the face of all the earth from that place."-Gen 11: 9

"This appears to be a copy of Final Fantasy, which is a step up from a copy of Pearl Jam"-Ed the Sock, on Fromage 2002, about one of Creed's videos--"Bullets".
Old 2003-01-31, 01:28 AM   #505
Blaster_86

alright so how about we kill this thread then ban sheba from the next one so no flames are had and all will be happy. Nmathew will convince none of us and we won't convince him it'll be a big waste of time and tada.

Old 2003-01-31, 01:37 AM   #506
nmathew
Matrix Keeper

Bay Area

Hey Blaster, Strafe and I were going to have a serious debate concerning the theory of knowledge.

No flames, an actual debate. I think some people could possible learn something from such a debate.

The fundamental question is what makes a discipline a science, and are those methods applied to evolution?

It's not a trivial question. Some people claim that science is nothing more than a social construction; like capitalism, playing basketball, or kicking a cat with friends. However, kicking a cat with friends doesn't produce cool stuff like garage door openers or the technology to run an awsome TF fan site

--nmathew

Old 2003-01-31, 01:38 AM   #507
Sheba
One with the Matrix

Sephiroth's Backyard

Quote:
Originally posted by Blaster_86
There are novels written in these patterns, are they the word of god too?
no there are not written in this pattern. You do NOT get non-scriptural Hebrew writings that have words or phrases divisible by 37. It just doesn't happen. Trust me they checked.

"This appears to be a copy of Final Fantasy, which is a step up from a copy of Pearl Jam"-Ed the Sock, on Fromage 2002, about one of Creed's videos--"Bullets".
Old 2003-01-31, 01:38 AM   #508
Capt

West of Scotland Sanity: None

Quote:
The point is, that they said that if some of the other elements had shorter half-lives, that the heat would do something. Like melt the earth, or make it inhospitable to life. Whatever.

I never belived there was any disernable heat transfer
half-life is such a slow process that it would take a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-etc-OOONG time for it to do anything

Actually, since Satan is condemned, it's his goal to make sure as many people as possible don't get into heaven. Misery loves company.

Satan (doesn't that mean Accuser in Hebrew?) was condemned for questioning god's methods, not his goal - from what I've been taught.
They plan the same goals, but prefer to do it in their own way

I saw it in a pamphlet called "The Ark Today" and seen reference to it in other books. I have not searched for it on the net, so I don't yet know of any links.

OK I tried. What I wanted exactly isn't on the net, but here's the next best thing:
http://www.icr.org/pubs/imp/imp-214.htm

I'll have a look through tomorrow after some rest, when I can properly digest it

Because their ancestors knew it. The datings are wrong. The separation of languages occurred AFTER the Flood (tower of babel).
Genesis chapter 11 all the way to verse 9. "Therefore the name of it is called "Babel", because the LORD confused the language of all the earth there. And the LORD scattered them abroad on the face of all the earth from that place."-Gen 11: 9 [/B]
For some reason, it seems such a throw away statement and stupid action...
"yeah, they tried to build a tower, showing great solidarity and team work...I put a stop to that..."
Yet again, god testing his creations...

it seems he tries us to see how far he can push us without us complaining
and he's recently went too far

Capt
Abusing the English written language since the 1980s
Old 2003-01-31, 01:52 AM   #509
Sheba
One with the Matrix

Sephiroth's Backyard

Quote:
Originally posted by Strafe
Hmmm there are two ways to respond to this.

Path A has resulted in 16 pages during which Sheba has failed to realize how ludicrous her position is, while failing to address the rebuttals of many, many people including Lady Auros's, Denyer's refutation of the allegorical identifier in the Hebrew language, my argument based on the three O's of God, Snake's many YEC crusing arguments and so on ad nauseum.

So on to Plan B

YEC is flawed, doesn't work, and if you support it, you're either willfully ignorant, or just really, really sheltered and unlucky. Since 16 pages hasn't changed your view, I'm putting you in the "willfully ignorant" category. Since you are in that category nothing I say will change your view so why waste the effort?

~Fin~

P.S. I eAt Y0uR bAbIEs
It's not ludicrous! Do you or do you NOT acknowledge the concept that God intervenes in the physical world to the tune of unscientific activity?! (Such as Creation, the Flood, or a floating Axe head). Look I'm still trying to find the book that says Denyer is wrong about the Hebrew; when I find it I'll say so.

I'm not "willfully ignorant." I know all the theories of evolution and materialist beginnings of the Universe, and THOSE are flawed! And you're using flawed reasoning to try to make your point. You totally ignore the fact that some of the "rebuttals" are misrepresentations or outright untruths. The problem isn't "my ignorance," the problem is I QUESTION the credibility of the sources of the "rebuttals," much like you guys question mine. Do I not have a right to suspect a lie or misrepresentation when I smell one? Heh I dunno, maybe I'm the one wasting the effort.

Old 2003-01-31, 02:00 AM   #510
Strafe
Certifiably not cool.

Chicago, Illinois
Exclamation

Never thought I'd say this but...

Garand lock this topic.

Here's your justification.

Sheba is an assclown hiding behind a wall of ignorance so thick that there is no point in even debating YEC with her. It's quite hilarious actually when your opponent's rebuttals are "How do I know they're not lying?" I mean honestly how daft do you have to be?

Sheba's wasted enough of our time with her nonsensical babble. Time to send this thread on it's way to the digital oblivion of the internet.

Or save it for the future so that any future YEC threads can be avoided by simply pointing at this and saying "YEC is wrong. Here's 17 pages to prove it, and have fun wading through the bullcrap."

Old 2003-01-31, 11:27 PM   #511
Jim
Hardcore Movie Lover

Philadelphia, Pa

I'm sending this to the pit...err... Junkion Files.

Closed Thread