• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2003-03-30, 01:25 AM   #21
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Basically, that'd be it. But to do well it would, I believe, cost a fair bit, and for someone of the complexity of Soundwave, well, you've got that amplified. This is why most k/os tend to be simple transformers...

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-30, 01:29 AM   #22
Dinobot
I Am Leeds

Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Basically, that'd be it. But to do well it would, I believe, cost a fair bit, and for someone of the complexity of Soundwave, well, you've got that amplified. This is why most k/os tend to be simple transformers...
Oh.

Dinobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-30, 01:39 AM   #23
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

I'd best add that that's hearsay from people on ATT, but some of them seemed to know what they were talking about...

EDIT: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...om%26rnum%3D15 might be of interest

Old 2003-03-30, 06:59 PM   #24
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

Quote:
They wouldn't have reissued the classic G1 toys if they didn't care...
Actually, they produced it because they saw that Takara was making money from them, and they realized that a good deal of the reissues are being imported to the US. Because of this, they saw that they had a chance to make money.

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-30, 10:40 PM   #25
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

You're ignoring the whole issue of paying for distribution etc. - if they simply did something because Takara did it and it sold well so it was no problem for them to do it, the rest of the world would have got Star Saber and the like, as well as imported Japanese cartoons.

Old 2003-03-31, 01:28 AM   #26
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

True, but you also have to look at the fact that a good amount of the reissues got imported to areas that Hasbro sold to, including the US. The fact that it sold well in the US probably helped to convince them. It wasn't just because Hasbro cared.

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-31, 10:40 AM   #27
Jetfire426
Gestalt

yeah well I just find that kinda of lame.. that Hasbro would let that happen...

Jetfire426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-31, 11:09 AM   #28
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Jetfire426
yeah well I just find that kinda of lame.. that Hasbro would let that happen...
:rolleyes:

Did you read what I posted?

Bugger-all people bought most of the figures when the names were last used, Transformers fans were bored of Transformers and Hasbro had no way of knowing the names would ever be of use to them. It costs money to renew copyrights. It's not a problem; we all know Bluestreak is called Bluestreak, and if you get pissed off about what's written on a piss-poor box, well, frankly that's your problem.

I'm 99% the Deluxe Insecticons were Bandai... and 90% Roadbuster [who I just broke... yay...] and Whirl were. I can't find a stamp of any sort on RB though, it might have been on the accessories, or they could always have been modified for the Transformers...

Jetfire 426, it's not Hasbro's fault they don't have the rights to the non-Hasbro/Takara moulds. We're actually quite lucky they didn't sell tons of them off when fan apathy killed G2 in 1995/96. And we're quite lucky we got Shockwave, Jetfire etc. in the first place.

And Paladin, that's elementary marketing... if something sells well on import, you simply produce it yourself. Fact remains that they could have played it safe and left it to the importers. But they didn't, despite the costs of distribution, new packaging and mould modification to reach US standards.

Mull this over. If Hasbro had issued a statement saying that it wasn't going to release reissues despite the success of Takara's line becuase of these extra costs, how pissed would a lot of people be? That's a Catch-22 for lots of fanboys - they'll throw their MISB toys out of the pram either way. Hasbro have clearly taken the best option avaliable to them, and good luck to them. If it bothers you, just buy Takara and ignore Hasbro. Ignore being the operative word here, instead of running their name into the ground whenever it's mentioned.

It's worth noting that it was probably equally viable for Takara to do something which would avoid most of these problems - they could have bought out the Laserwave/Shockwave rights for a start. But they didn't. No, wait, that includes Takra doing something wrong, something they're incapable of.

:rolleyes:

Old 2003-03-31, 12:35 PM   #29
Shrapnel Clone
Modder Eter

The Netherlands

The Deluxe Insecticons were Beetras, check out this site...

http://www.toyboxdx.com/data/takatoku2/beetras.html

Shrapnel Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-31, 12:44 PM   #30
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Talking

Cheers SC! From somewhere I got the idea that Beetras was a Bandai line... and that is a great site

Old 2003-03-31, 05:23 PM   #31
Build King

Lets get this strait.

No chance of a reissue Jetfire, Omega Supreme,delux insecticons or delux vechiles. Any one else they cant reissue due to some reasonor another?

I would like to see blaster and the regular insecticons reissued along with all the cassettetapes and Soundwave

Build King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-31, 05:39 PM   #32
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Bad news... I'm afraid Soundwave seems to be on the "mould damaged" list. That said, there are no copyright problems - it would just have to be worth it for Takara & Hasbro to do it, which would either mean pretty big reissue sales [we're probably talking "to match other Transformers"] or a huge pricetag... I'm led to believe reverse-engineering is as costly as casting an original mould, and can be tricky with regards to picking out surface detail - take a look at the faces of the k/o's for some indication of this...

There are creditable reports that many of the combiner moulds are now lost - the exceptions would seem to be Bruticus [who was reused for Car Robots... I'd be surprised if we don't see a 'classic' Bruticus before long, as the mould is ready... though Hasbro for one might want to wait on it after the Urban Camo Ruination coming out not long ago] and 5/6 of Piranacon, as they were used for God Neptune in Beast Wars II. I'm not sure if all of the others are wasted, but those are the two that are pretty much avaliable...

There are probably many more that Takara and Hasbro just haven't looked at which could be broken, lost etc.

Old 2003-04-26, 04:26 PM   #33
Cyberstrike nTo
Primus

In the Dead Universe known as Indianapolis

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Bad news... I'm afraid Soundwave seems to be on the "mould damaged" list. That said, there are no copyright problems - it would just have to be worth it for Takara & Hasbro to do it, which would either mean pretty big reissue sales [we're probably talking "to match other Transformers"] or a huge pricetag... I'm led to believe reverse-engineering is as costly as casting an original mould, and can be tricky with regards to picking out surface detail - take a look at the faces of the k/o's for some indication of this...

There are creditable reports that many of the combiner moulds are now lost - the exceptions would seem to be Bruticus [who was reused for Car Robots... I'd be surprised if we don't see a 'classic' Bruticus before long, as the mould is ready... though Hasbro for one might want to wait on it after the Urban Camo Ruination coming out not long ago] and 5/6 of Piranacon, as they were used for God Neptune in Beast Wars II. I'm not sure if all of the others are wasted, but those are the two that are pretty much avaliable...

There are probably many more that Takara and Hasbro just haven't looked at which could be broken, lost etc.
The question is the mold are lost for the combiners how are those
knock offs being made so someone must have the molds to them.

Cyberstrike nTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-04-26, 05:01 PM   #34
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

No, it doesn't. Look at the detail moulding on those knock-offs. Look most specifically at the smaller robot faces. Try them for compatibility with some of the official figures - heads and other joints are often smaller that the connections on official figures, stuff like that. Those have been reverse-engineered from old figures by a particularly cheap & nasty process named "slush-moulding", which Hasbro quite rightly wouldn't dream of using... if the companies who made those figures had the original moulds, they'd sell them back to Hasbro for a small fortune, rather than putting out gestalt sets for $5.

Old 2003-04-27, 03:19 PM   #35
Cyberstrike nTo
Primus

In the Dead Universe known as Indianapolis

Ok

Cyberstrike nTo is offline   Reply With Quote