• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2004-01-21, 08:11 PM   #21
KillTheKids

Grooter Patrol

Actually, I love Tow-Line. Hes gotthat goofy quailty to him that I like. As for his weapon, I doubt he will be a soldier. I think he will be an energon tracker/excavator. I mean, look at him. His vehicle is a recconosiance van (like the kind the FBI uses) and his energon tool is most likely an energon detector. He can listen in on where the Decepticons have found energon and then scout it out and claim the source first. Then again, that would make waaaaay too much sense. They will probably call his tool an "Energon Disrupter Frequency" or something wacky like that.

KillTheKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-21, 08:17 PM   #22
Raiden

In hot tub with babes

Towline is what Hatchet and Ironhide should've looked like, and Downshift should've been called Wheeljack.

And where's all the Decepticons? It's like G1 all over again.

Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-21, 09:05 PM   #23
Spiderman

Boiling Springs, SC
Default G1 points for

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
Points against it:
  • Hasbro have lost a lot of the trademarks.
  • Question of which continuity to follow.
  • G1 is already basically told. Where do the stories fit?
  • On-going storyline; line "resets" (a la Power Rangers) sell better.
1. If Hasbro really tried they could get back most of the trademarks.
2. Continuity has not followed in any of the American series since Beast Wars. So why would Hasbro start now?
3. In America we were never actually told any of the back story to Unicron, or how the Autobots and Decepticons got back to Cybertron by 2005. We were also never told any of the other adventures the other Autobots on Cybertron had, or how the triple changers were made. We also never saw how some of the '85 year Autobots got to earth. G1 never explained further on the 5 years after the movie. We also never got any info on what started the Great War. We also never saw any adventures with the Autobots and Decepticons on Cybertron.
3. The stories can fit before the show, before the movie , 5 years after the movie before what we saw.

Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-22, 12:33 AM   #24
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Auros
As I implied, it would've been sensible to name the character Wheeljack if only because of the colorscheme, except they just had a character named Wheeljack in Armada and this is a continuation of that story.
Well, they could have done an explaination about Wheeljack becoming an autobot again, since the war was over (he really didn't seem to hate Hot Shot that much when they were working together).

Or if all else fails, they could pull a Demolisher. Armada Demolisher's in the cartoon, with merely a paint job. However, hasbro is releasing an energon figure, named Demolisher, which is an ugly dump truck. Can you imagine the confusion this is going to cause?

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-22, 01:14 AM   #25
KillTheKids

Grooter Patrol

He won't seem as ugly to me if all those little green beads are firing missiles.

KillTheKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-22, 03:10 AM   #26
Hawkeye
One with the Matrix

Newfoundland, Canada.

downshift kinda reminds me of X-brawn ......i dont know maybe its the colours....i cant place it.

Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-22, 08:17 AM   #27
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany
Cool Re: G1 points for

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman
3. In America we were never actually told any of the back story to Unicron
Wasn't he a space-monkey's science project?

Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-22, 08:34 AM   #28
Darkfox

North West UK

Hey, I wonder if Tow-line gets a Mini-con called Scooby?

As for G1 Unicron, yes, it if kinda annoying to think, the destroyer of worlds, the chaosbringer, the ultimate force of evil was built by a tiny little chimp who should be out selling Teabags.

Darkfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-22, 10:43 AM   #29
Sideswipe

I agree that DownShift should be called Wheeljack, or possibly repainted red and black and called the tf name ever: Sideswipe

They should give him SIDSWIPES G1 personality too.

RE mastrepieces: How cool would Masterpeice sideswipe be???

Is it just me or does owline look a lot FAT like Energon OP

Old 2004-01-22, 02:13 PM   #30
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Lightbulb

Quote:
1. If Hasbro really tried they could get back most of the trademarks.
Three words: not economically viable.

Quote:
3. In America we were never actually told any of the back story to Unicron
Yes, you were. Whether you read or watched that stuff is up to you.

Quote:
3. The stories can fit before the show, before the movie , 5 years after the movie before what we saw.
Ah, great. Cohesive marketing angle for one of the largest toy companies in the US to deal with, then...

They won't re-release anything which includes the original animated series because most of it was ****. It would mean having to reanimate and rewrite it all. Long-terms fans wouldn't accept it, and kids need to see the toys they get on shelves accurately represented on screen.

Line resets sell better. RiD and Armada were massive money-spinners for Hasbro. No way are they going to go against that formula whilst it's still pulling in megabucks. With Energon, they're combining the concepts: a major line reset and some form of continuity.

Can't say I'm overly excited by either of 'em. Downshift is ever-so slightly reminiscent of Tailgate (it's the shoulders) and is generally a decent figure.

Maybe they'll look more tempting on the shelf.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-23, 10:39 PM   #31
Brave Maximus
Cybertronian Paladin

Gehenna

Hey Denyer - would Tailgate go by another name? I don't recognize the name and well a quick look at TFU didn't help my cause any.

I like downshift in Robot mode - it's different. I'm not in love with the robot mode - that design of car has never really interested me. The only thing going for it is that it's a homage to G1 Wheeljack.

Oh interesting thought: I wonder if hasbro is doing this on purpose - homages to G1 characters to get the older more "extreme" fans to by them?

Brave Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-23, 11:12 PM   #32
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Brave Maximus
Hey Denyer - would Tailgate go by another name? I don't recognize the name and well a quick look at TFU didn't help my cause any.
He's actually missing from the old trade paperback I have, which is half of the reason I remember him... pretty sure he's in the original US four-issue print, or just check out the link:

http://tfarchive.com/genone/tfutailgate.php

Quote:
Originally posted by Brave Maximus
Oh interesting thought: I wonder if hasbro is doing this on purpose - homages to G1 characters to get the older more "extreme" fans to by them?
There are a fair number of oldschool fans who work for Hasbro, from what I gather... however, Aaron Archer has a tendency to reassign names to whichever faction or design he thinks appropriate... eg, Wheeljack became a Decepticon name in Armada.

I think things get passed through multiple departments, to the extent that one person can okay a colour scheme which then gets a name from another shortlist, so you get small groups of TFs which, if you shunt the names around just a little within them, often make a surprising amount of sense.

Old 2004-01-24, 01:02 AM   #33
Dragon Warrior Steve
Powermaster

Orange County, New York

I'm glad we finally got the final product of Downshift now. I can tell Hasbro is taunting us by making him almost look exactly like Wheeljack.

Dragon Warrior Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 01:55 PM   #34
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Sideswipe
I agree that DownShift should be called Wheeljack, or possibly repainted red and black and called the tf name ever: Sideswipe
Would you really want Sideswipe's name on that mould, though?

Quote:
RE mastrepieces: How cool would Masterpeice sideswipe be???
Well, the Alternator/Binaltech version is pretty good. I can see them doing other characters without a 'modern' equivalent first.

Quote:
Is it just me or does owline look a lot FAT like Energon OP
True, there are a few more chunky toys around these days... Armada Cyclonus, for instance.

Old 2004-01-24, 07:25 PM   #35
Cyberstrike nTo
Primus

In the Dead Universe known as Indianapolis

Downshift-looks cool
Tow-Line-is ok

Cyberstrike nTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-25, 01:39 AM   #36
Gesani

Practice Safe Lunch..... Use A Condiment

The Toys Look ok pixelated but it will have to be a call of what they look liek in teh package on teh shelf. Of course being a old timey Ironhide fan i might acutally get the Mystery-1, or is that Ecto-Machine,...Towline toy.. right now as it is i have only seen the first Alernator and the begianing of the frist wave of energon..

adding on to the continuity thing..the fact energon is continuing Armada..seems to be the most continuity ever... of course every line that is made will be different.. but there are two rule that seem to always be followed... Prime will die and Megatron will be Reformated into Galvatron... and Star Scream will usally be Whineing and saying that hes the better leader..

Gesani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-25, 04:56 AM   #37
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

Nope, according to his bio, he's still going to be struggling with the choice between good and evil, as he he was doing in Armada.

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 08:12 AM   #38
Sideswipe

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
Would you really want Sideswipe's name on that mould, though?

Whats that supposed to mean???

Yeah I know Armada Sideswipe sucks, but the others (especially the 2003 Botcon exclusive) rule