• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Website Stuff

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-20, 05:57 AM   #21
Corvus Corax

great white north

i know i can't.. but right now i can atleast control their internet and who they hang out with... i don't even want to think about what they are learning in school now... before we moved here for college.. all they had to wory about was watching for bear and cougar tracks etc... now they have to watch out for people and all the lovely stuff on the net.

besides i told them if i ever caught them exploring on the net without me around i would take out and keep the cpu or some other part with me while i was not home.

sorta got off track of why i made the post.. but a valid point

oh and a friend of mine was trying to look up barbie stuff for her 4 years old daughter.. the stuff she found... even the most innocent searches don't always find innocent results

The Celts do not fear death, for us it is only the path to the other land.

Optimus Prime: Laserbeak, you tinfoil turkey!

http://www.ceyllynn.com
Old 2004-03-20, 05:58 AM   #22
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by Corvus Corax
i haven't said anything about censoring, i was just pointing out something.

then again i thought that since it was supposed to be a lot of adults here, mentioning a concern as an adult and parent wouldn't be met with this.
You expected, rather than us politely point out that the site isn't geared solely for children nor has a community populated by children, us to change the way we interact to accommodate children?

Your concern as a parent is fine and if you don't want your children viewing the forums here, then don't let them; however, don't assume we're not adults for not accommodating a demographic that, I at least, think generally shouldn't be allowed online in the first place.

Old 2004-03-20, 06:11 AM   #23
Corvus Corax

great white north

i don't recall asking you to change your ways, saying maybe think about something is not an order or a demand... and i am not going to continue this petty bickering as you try and put more meanings into what i said other than what i have already explained point by point to make it clearer.

Old 2004-03-20, 06:23 AM   #24
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

I don't think it's bickering; people are merely responding to the suggestion made. Many people (myself included) wouldn't let preteens near an internet connection unless they had access only to a sandbox of sites; literally, a list of them that I'd checked myself and okayed. It certainly wouldn't include forums... kids that age shouldn't be spending appreciable amounts of time sat in front of a screen, be it TV or computer. All my opinion, of course. Neither of us fortunately are parents, although Luke and myself have studied child psychology to a certain degree.

Quote:
Originally posted by Corvus Corax
oh and a friend of mine was trying to look up barbie stuff for her 4 years old daughter.. the stuff she found... even the most innocent searches don't always find innocent results
Well, apart from the fact Barbie is a popular name a lot of hookers use, Barbie has also been (amongst other things) a cigarette model... and has ankles which would snap under her body weight were she real.

Sorry, that's slightly off-topic, I just vehemently despise Barbie as an icon and as a role-model. I can't think of many worse than an incarnation of eating disorders incarnated in plastic form.

Old 2004-03-20, 06:26 AM   #25
Corvus Corax

great white north

well see i am this crazy kinda parent... i buy my boys these ancient objects called BOOKS... my older son adores david eddings and robert jordan... he actually asks for books.

as for barbie.. yeah she's evil.. had me bleaching my red hair blonde as a teen cause that was the way proper girls should be.. then again it was also the 80's....

Old 2004-03-20, 06:42 AM   #26
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

Good choice. I'd discovered The Hobbit and DragonLance by about the age of ten, which got me through the next five years or so... Star Trek sci-fi for the next few (I still cherry pick the better ones) and since then a great deal of what I read in the way of fiction was connected with college and university courses. The ability to read without concentrating and inflect words from a page to speech is literally consciousness-altering. Who needs drugs? They're just a bonus.

Statistically, the danger point is reached during early teenage years. Kids find themselves with more autonomy over money, and relatively few parents still support reading as an activity separate from other hobbies. Few parents offer a role-model who reads anything in the way of fiction or are interested in discussing it with their offspring, for that matter.

Get them through that period and they've a gift for life.

Old 2004-03-20, 06:46 AM   #27
Corvus Corax

great white north

he's chomping at the bit worse than me for the 11th robert jordan book (we managed to get one that was a prequel to the series, he released it last year).. was debating introducing him to dragonlance... i loved those.. but there are soo many of them , he would never do his homework!

Old 2004-03-20, 07:01 AM   #28
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

Let it be an introduction to how bad series with an initially narrow focus tend to get when they bloat to include so many authors. The Chronicles, Legends and Tales would be my only required reads... maybe Tales II and one or two Preludes and Meetings Sextet, but virtually everything else is derivative or crowds the timeline, IMO. Especially the Fifth Age concept; let a series fade gracefully. I can accept most of Summer Flame, although its reliance upon the stop-gap Second Generation (which introduced the Grey Robes in an afterword, for crying out loud) and general verbosity do not do it credit.

Forgotten Realms, on the other hand, has a broader focus and some individual gems. Ravenloft... about half a dozen decent novels. Greyhawk and Dark Sun I never really got into.

I disagree with people who make sweeping criticisms of fantasy literature which fits into a loose 'rule system'... it gives authors a foundation to play with, and when they decide to bend those rules a little (as each campaign setting does) the effect is enhanced. Never found time to actually roleplay, though, and I suspect I wouldn't have the patience now. I just enjoy some of the fiction.

Maybe wait until there's a lull in the school curriculum.

Old 2004-03-20, 07:05 AM   #29
Corvus Corax

great white north

you might want to check out the link named drakara(with a blue dragon on a sword) on my website

Old 2004-03-20, 07:21 AM   #30
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

Not immensely keen on the use of present tense, but reads extremely fluently. Yours?

Old 2004-03-20, 07:37 AM   #31
Corvus Corax

great white north

yah if i ever can get back to it... changing the tense was more of an experiement... keep meaning to take an hour or so and change it back.. but the site comes down next month anyhow... and a over a year straight os school with no more than a week or two break hasn't given me any time to put more up.

Old 2004-03-20, 09:14 AM   #32
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

1 - Nearly every post I've seen since you've arrived is in defense of yourself because of all the flaming you receive at other boards. Makes one wonder.

2 - You consistently accuse others of attacking you when they're not and have a condescending attitude about it.

If you're going to criticize or cop an attitude with us when we should all be "mature" enough to watch our language so your children can read the forums, expect us to respond. And don't label our responses as "petty bickering" just because they don't happen to agree with your own. If this were bickering rather than politely disagreeing, I'd call you a **** and be done with it.

Old 2004-03-20, 12:49 PM   #33
Arcee

Germany. Status: not blonde

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
Statistically, the danger point is reached during early teenage years. Kids find themselves with more autonomy over money, and relatively few parents still support reading as an activity separate from other hobbies. Few parents offer a role-model who reads anything in the way of fiction or are interested in discussing it with their offspring, for that matter.

Get them through that period and they've a gift for life.
Believe it or not, I was reading a lot during my teen years, including stuff like Crime and Punishment. But then, I was also quite the outsider as teenager...

Old 2004-03-20, 10:22 PM   #34
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

I'm not amazingly sociable myself. Fewer and closer tends to be the way I prefer friendships... though I'll talk to most people and don't feel out of place leading activities... I just like having my own space.

Old 2004-03-21, 12:30 AM   #35
Galvatron91
Has anger management issues

Keeping the world safe from crappy posts

enough of this...closed by request

Closed Thread