• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > General Discussion

Old 2005-07-07, 07:18 AM   #21
Lambda prime
Unicron

North East UK

In the original book the red weed was brought along by accident, it was supposed to be folliage that covers Mars and it's spread was efficient and destructive to plants on Earth but it eventually died off.
In the new film it seemed that the Tripods are spreading it maybe terraforming (in a sense) the Earth.

Alphadog
Check out Ebay store for Armada, Energon, Alternators, 20th Anniversery figures:
Jil sells all
Undeaddan/
Friends site
Tacticalunderground
Lambda prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-07, 05:44 PM   #22
Sixswitch
Rameses Niblik The Third, Kerplunk Kerplunk, Whoops, Where's My Thribble

Sent to outer space, to find another happy place.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lambda prime

In the new film it seemed that the Tripods are spreading it maybe terraforming (in a sense) the Earth.
That was the impression I got.

-GB

I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Sixswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-07, 11:12 PM   #23
Zisteau
smoldering red eyeballs

Italy until December

Saw it a few days ago. I thought it was very visually arresting, but I couldn't have cared less about the family storyline. I actually think Tom Cruise did a great job with what he was given, but the writing just wasn't there.

I don't mind the ending because it is
SPOILER! (select to read)
explicitly set up in the opening scene of the film, so it works for me.
I do have a problem with Spieldberg's endings in general, though. He totally killed Minority Report with that spineless ending, when it could have been a very memorable movie.

I felt we could have done with another 30-45 minutes of story. As it was, it was just a straight survival story. The most intriguing thing in the movie to me actually had nothing to do with the family on the run, but
SPOILER! (select to read)
when the aliens come down into the house and start investigating things and looking at the pictures. Their inquisitiveness was perfectly executed. I'd be more interested in an entire film from their perspective
and just skip the family on the run nonsense.

Zisteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-15, 10:31 PM   #24
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

I personally didn't see the point of taking "War of the Worlds", and moving it to modern America. Half of the fun is that the aliens are wailing on Woking and Chobham half the time, and only an old torpedo ram gets anywhere before the bacteria...

No, I've not seen it. I just fail to find it any more enticing than any other "Johnny Alien vs. the US Marines" film.

Oh, and the Jeff Wayne music's just to integral to the whole story for me.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-15, 11:05 PM   #25
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.

Dakota Fanning should have been drowned at birth.

That's my take on the movie.

The rest of it... yeah, was alright as far as these things go. Can't blame the main plot-hole on Spielberg.

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-20, 11:28 PM   #26
moonbaseone
Powermaster

Chicago, IL USA

I didn't see the movie yet but a guy at work today said he saw it lastnight and he said it sucked. Said it wasn't as good as the media is saying it is.

Also, I heard the book ended the same way so people shouldn't be too upset about it if they tried to follow the book.

Just my $0.02

"Till All Are ONE"

-Please visit FavoriteToons.com - your COMPLETE Cartoon Online resource for Toons, Anime, Transformers, and more!!!

By - Moonbaseone
moonbaseone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-21, 02:58 PM   #27
Halfshell

Red face

http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/...521084,00.html

Bonus points for use of the phrase "another damned recipe for Uncle George's favourite paranoia pie with chocolate Cheney sauce"

Old 2005-07-22, 02:45 AM   #28
BigMaki

Jacksonville, FL. You may now feel sorry for me.
Lightbulb

So I enjoyed it only because I'm American, huh?

What the **** ever.

BigMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-22, 07:46 AM   #29
Halfshell

I think the article's point was that some non-Americans didn't get anything from it because they're not subjected to the environment that it was trying to play off.

The thing about the Guardian is that they have multiple articles on just about every subject, split pretty much equally between those in favour and those who can't stand it. Balance to the Force.

Old 2005-07-22, 10:11 AM   #30
Lambda prime
Unicron

North East UK

One thing that hit me as odd was that the aliens recognised our territories, on the news it states that Ukraine was hit by storms, EMPs and then seismic activity, then another nation was, then another. That made no real sense whatsoever, technically they are alien though they did understand doors and studied photos and bikes but why not attack whole continents?

Alphadog
Check out Ebay store for Armada, Energon, Alternators, 20th Anniversery figures:
Jil sells all
Undeaddan/
Friends site
Tacticalunderground

Last edited by Lambda prime; 2005-07-22 at 10:14 AM.
Lambda prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-22, 11:44 AM   #31
Halfshell

Quote:
Originally posted by Lambda prime
One thing that hit me as odd was that the aliens recognised our territories, on the news it states that Ukraine was hit by storms, EMPs and then seismic activity, then another nation was, then another. That made no real sense whatsoever, technically they are alien though they did understand doors and studied photos and bikes but why not attack whole continents?
Because the initial phenomenon was the activation of the machines, and the attacks started where the machines rose up from.

They did attack whole continents - but you have to have a starting point. They had multiple starting points scattered around the world, which by the logical extension were in different countries.

Cruise's character encountered multiple ones across the States.