Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.

Presumably

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 04:29 PM   #63
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

The perfect partner for She Hulk would be the big grey Hulk thing in the ginger wig from the Street Fighter Movie.

Played by Kylie I think.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 05:47 PM   #64
Ozz
One with the Matrix

I'm on the roof and I'm staring at the stars...
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Brendocon
I think the first one was Hank devolving into feline form... which was an Xtreme storyline, making it the work of Claremont. Was shortly before Morisson took over, so he probably riffed the notion for Emma.
X-treme X-Men #1 and New X-Men #114 (which already featured mutated Hank) came out in the same month. I might be that Claremont was kinda forced to drop Beast after few issues and cook up an explaination for his changed state.

-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 06:11 PM   #65
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Talking

Or it might be he was asked to drop Hank, so decided to royally shaft the physical appearance of the character out of spite!

All the world's ills = teh fault of teh Claremont.

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 06:29 PM   #66
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
Originally posted by Brendocon
I jacked it in before Claremont came on board. There was that godawful Draco thing, followed by some bollocks with Juggernaut doing She Hulk, followed by me saying "sod it".
Trial of the Juggernaut wasn't awful, but the Draco was one of the worst things I've read in a while. I'm something of an Uncanny completist, but I've thus far only picked up two issues of that storyline.

As for Kurt and Rachel, Claremont's whole run on Uncanny was unreadable pap. Between Rachel and Kurt, Kurt and Ororo, Logan and Ororo, Rachel and the lizard people, X-23, and Mojo's selective memory, it's just a huge mess.

Dead Man Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 06:35 PM   #67
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

The worst thing about Rachel, from the two issues I read, was that she was a blatant Jean clone, rather than the character from Excalibur...

The idea that Quesada could let Claremont, of all people, get his hands on Wisdom, though... that just makes me feel physically sick.

Selected canonicity, boys and girls. It's the way to go, and thanks to Quesada, we can do it. It used to be whatever **** was lumped onto a beloved character, we had to just deal with. Now, thatnks to the big Q, every single Marvel writer's work is basically a universe reboot, and we don't have to care anymore. The Marvel universe ran for more than 35 years, and Joe's blown the whole thing apart in a few years. That's impressive work for a second-rate X-Factor penciller.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 07:26 PM   #68
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Hey now, he was a 1st rate X-Factor penciler, probably the best one the entire series had next to Portacio...

Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 08:13 PM   #69
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by Hound
Hey now, he was a 1st rate X-Factor penciler, probably the best one the entire series had next to Portacio...
He gave Alex girly hair. Stroman kicked his arse as well (Larry's stuff gelled with David's scripts perfectly)... And Jae Lee's issues r0xx0red.

He's not bad, TBH, but he wasn't notably better than any of the others. And don't get me started on his over-rated Iron Man run...

Old 2006-11-03, 08:37 PM   #70
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

I don't think I've read his run on Iron Man. What issues?

I don't care much for Jae Lee. His style just doesn't gel with the kind of comic that X-Factor was if you ask me.

As for Stroman, there's stuff I really like about him and things I thought he didn't do that well at all. The man can't draw faces to save his life. Every character has the same exact face, man or woman. Except Guido whom he drew perfectly. Quicksilver is another he had the look down perfectly for. Everyone else was just meh.

I think McFarlane drew a cover or two for the series so maybe he counts though...

Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 08:39 PM   #71
LKW
Gestalt

fray-adjacent

Well, this just shows how tastes can vary, as, while it generally wasn't as good as his original run, I enjoyed Claremont's last run on Uncanny better than probably any of his successors' attempts - except Joss, of course - while Larry Strohman single-handedly kept me from reading most of PAD's X-Factor. (PAD's current X-Factor series is very good, by the way.)

LKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 08:44 PM   #72
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Hound
I don't think I've read his run on Iron Man. What issues?
Somewhere in the late 30s/early 40s of Vol. 3... it's a step up from what had followed Busiek after he concentrated on Avengers, but then that wouldn't be hard.

Quote:
I don't care much for Jae Lee. His style just doesn't gel with the kind of comic that X-Factor was if you ask me.
I dunno, I felt it worked well on the issues I've read (the X-Cutioner crossover) - the fight scenes with X-Force and the MLF stand out nicely, they've got a gritty edge most X-book fights didn't have until much later.

Quote:
As for Stroman, there's stuff I really like about him and things I thought he didn't do that well at all. The man can't draw faces to save his life. Every character has the same exact face, man or woman. Except Guido whom he drew perfectly. Quicksilver is another he had the look down perfectly for. Everyone else was just meh.
I dunno, I felt his whole goofy, mis-shapen vibe fitted in nicely with David's "freakshow" storylines... the Nasty Boys have never looked so good. I'll agree he struggled a bit more with the normal-looking people like Alex and Lorna, though. Though he didn't give Alex boyband hair

Old 2006-11-04, 12:59 PM   #73
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Nel Yomotov should be put in charge at Marvel. He was truely amoungst the first rank of people who coloured the American Transformers comic.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote