• transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2007-09-05, 06:36 AM   #21
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

Quote:
Originally posted by Clay
Now that I think about it, that probably explains why Trypticon and Fortress Maximus were re-released in the late 90's with some of the superfluous bits missing. The big sword and assorted other guns and whatnots were probably on their own sprues that couldn't be found, or didn't have any essential parts on them and weren't cast to save money.
There was a lucky draw version of Fort Max during Car Robots WITH all the extra parts.

Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 09:48 AM   #22
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

Quote:
Originally posted by Maju Garzett
Mainly the whole all-girls-being-archers-or-marksmen thing.
When did I say "all"? Of course there are exceptions, hence the "generally" bit - and generally speaking token "female" characters (toys or media) are often type-casted into specific roles (ex: uses femininity/sexuality as a weapon, which is bizarre for obvious reasons). Besides, I was simply making a playful observation.

zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 01:15 PM   #23
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevermore
There was a lucky draw version of Fort Max during Car Robots WITH all the extra parts.
Which'd indicate that they were purposefully omitted for the main release, then.

Wouldn't you be able to make a rough guess as to number of sprues from the colours used on the toys? I mean, to take the Op cab, I'd guess the head, gun, fists (? - maybe, Clay's mention of being happy to melt parts down again would cover the abscence from Magnus), lower legs and thighs (I'm right in remembering these were blue under the chrome, yeh?) share a sprue; the torso parts and arms share another, with the diecast bits on a third; maybe another for the chromed parts, plus a transparency part as well. If you look at Prime, Magnus and Powered Convoy, they all sort of break down into those "sections".

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 01:50 PM   #24
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Wouldn't you be able to make a rough guess as to number of sprues from the colours used on the toys? I mean, to take the Op cab, I'd guess the head, gun, fists (? - maybe, Clay's mention of being happy to melt parts down again would cover the abscence from Magnus), lower legs and thighs (I'm right in remembering these were blue under the chrome, yeh?) share a sprue; the torso parts and arms share another, with the diecast bits on a third; maybe another for the chromed parts, plus a transparency part as well. If you look at Prime, Magnus and Powered Convoy, they all sort of break down into those "sections".
It'll give you the minimum number of sprues, yeah. I'd imagine the guns are on with the trailers. Looking him over, I don't actually see black or gray cast plastic on the cab, so that would mean the gun is cast with Roller's wheels or something.

Dragged out my G1 Optimus, and I'd say it the minimum breaks down like this:

One sprue in blue plastic - head, fists, legs, chrome parts (painted later).
One sprue in red plastic - arms, cab, etc.
One sprue for the tires - rubber or plastic, depending on the release (and maybe different sprues altogether depending the material used)
One sprue for the clear window piece.
One sprue for the parts that are die-cast metal - the feet and part of the cab.

So, for G1 Optimus' cab, there are a minimum of five different sprues required to make a complete toy. If I had to guess, I'd say all the chromed parts are on their own blue sprue seperate from the legs and head so that they can be painted quicker.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 01:55 PM   #25
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

Why the Hell did I think his gun was blue?

EDIT: The the black one you could probably add the missiles and bits from the trailer, actually.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 02:17 PM   #26
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY

Because of this guy?

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote