• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2007-12-04, 03:47 PM   #1
secretcode
щ(゚Д゚щ)

Default Voice Actor In Talks For TF2

http://www.blackamericaweb.com/site....aretheynow1204

"Darius McCrary is best known for his role as Eddie Winslow on the long-running television series "Family Matters." He began his career in Hollywood at the age of 10. McCrary, who is also a songwriter and music producer, is the son of Grammy-nominated gospel/jazz musician Howard McCrary and older brother of actor Donovan McCrary.

McCrary starred as a series regular on NBC's "Committed" as Bowie James and later as Jamal in UPN's "Eve." He also appeared on the small screen in the NBC/Paramount miniseries "Kingpin," on HBO's multi-award-winning "Don King: Only in America," starring Ving Rhames, and in the popular Neal Israel-directed "Kidz in the Woods."

"I consider myself to be a blue collar celebrity because I just do the work," said McCrary. "There are perks, and I do enjoy them. But I work."

The 31-year-old actor's current schedule has been interrupted by the writer's strike, but he assures his fans that "in the future, everybody will be laughing and having a good time watching me."

McCrary is also putting together some projects through his company, Emerging Media Productions. His goal is to not complain about the lack of work, but create jobs for other blacks in the entertainment industry.

"Unfortunately, in Hollywood, (African-Americans) are usually an afterthought, like 'Oh, yeah -- we gotta include some black people," he says. "Once the afterthought is made, the roles are usually given to four or five actors. If we're talking about a movie where an African-American is a star, they're usually looking to put Denzel Washington or Will Smith in the role -- which is great because I have admiration and respect for both of them. But it doesn't help the rest of us in the equation. So, I've been working on writing some stuff and trying to come up with some things to try and be part of the solution, as opposed to standing on the sidelines crying about it."

Last summer, McCrary starred as Autobot Jazz in the 4th of July blockbuster "Transformers" and is currently in talks to return for the sequel.

"That was something I grew up watching, so to be a part of that was exciting," said McCrary.

McCrary says he was honored to be chosen as the first voice actor to take over the role of Jazz since the original voicer, venerable actor Scatman Crothers, died in 1986.

"It was kind of cool because -- I know this may sound crazy -- when I was actually filming, I really did feel Scatman's presence," he said."

secretcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 05:29 PM   #2
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Was there really the need to cut & paste "What's cracking, bitches?"-Man promoting his own humdrum career for ten lines of relevant text right at the end?

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 07:18 PM   #3
Blitzwing
was here way before you.

British Columbia

Hey, I didn't know he was Eddie from Family Matters. Awesome.

So if he's in the sequel, then I'm guessing that they're going to come up with some lame excuse to bring Jazz back to life, rather than introduce a new character. That's a little disappointing. Although, I guess he could always alter his voice slightly to play a different character.

Blitzwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 07:25 PM   #4
Skidmark
Make me unsee it!

In your base, stealing your flag

Darn it Maju.You beat me to it.I had a feeling i should of woken up earlier.

Last edited by Skidmark; 2007-12-04 at 07:35 PM.
Skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 08:57 PM   #5
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Or he'll be doing another character (wasn't there a bit of doubling up of voice artists on the first one?).

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 09:27 PM   #6
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Or he'll be doing another character (wasn't there a bit of doubling up of voice artists on the first one?).
Yeh - Ironhide and Barricade OTTOMH, though someone else might actually know. IMO exactly zero reason for him to be voicing Jazz - I personally can't think of any reason to bother, either. I just hope it doesn't mean we're getting another cringe-inducing 'urban' character. I'm not against having an urban Transformer in theory, but perhaps let's not have the dialogue written by a ****ing idiot this time round. To think there were people claiming the "Sam's happy time" bit was embarrassing...

Old 2007-12-05, 05:04 AM   #7
ColdBain
Powermaster

New Zealand

He could be blaster?

ColdBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 05:31 AM   #8
Brimstone
Unicron

Houston, TX

Well, if he is back as Jazz, that lends a little bit of credence to the story treatment that we were all told was "totally and completely fake."

Possible spoiler (possibly fake info):
SPOILER! (select to read)
I didn't read much of it but the first paragraph or two (if I recall) but, what it said about Soundwave would jive with Jazz being it the second one.

Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 07:24 AM   #9
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Yeh - Ironhide and Barricade OTTOMH, though someone else might actually know. IMO exactly zero reason for him to be voicing Jazz
The only thing that might point at it is that it's a bit odd he's in talks now when the voice casting was about the last thing they did on the first one. It might be they want to make 100% sure they can get him back for the role.

Or that they just want to keep the rep company together...

Old 2007-12-05, 02:40 PM   #10
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me much if he signed a multi-picture deal (just in case Jazz was so cool they spared him, Barricade-style) or something and now they're haggling over what they give him this film.

Old 2007-12-05, 02:50 PM   #11
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Red face

ZOMG flashback.

Or he could play Jazz's brother - Funk.

Or, y'know, show some versatility (talent?) and play a completely different character. Wh'ever.

Ironhide was the black one anyway, fools.

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 07:59 PM   #12
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

IRONHIDE REEDDD NUUTTT BLACCKKK.

Old 2007-12-07, 05:06 PM   #13
Brimstone
Unicron

Houston, TX

You know, minus the "what's crackin' little bitches" I actually really liked Jazz (or liked what little we got to see/hear of him). His attitude towards what they allowed to happen (and were allowing to continue to happen) with Bumblebee was more inline with my attitude.

I really wish we could have seen more of him, I think I would have really liked him...but as it is...the "what's crackin' bitches" is always what sticks out in everyone's minds, and the rest gets lost.

Old 2007-12-07, 05:23 PM   #14
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Wink Pedantic taking out of context ahoy!

Quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone
You know, minus the "what's crackin' little bitches" I actually really liked Jazz (or liked what little we got to see/hear of him).
Wasn't that about all we got to see/hear of him?

Nah, in all seriousness, I do feel he was largely just sort of there. I mean, he doesn't seem to do an awful lot to justify the 2IC in the film - about the only time Prime's not present, in the first stages of the Mission City battle, it's Ironhide who seems to take the initiative (sure, there's no logical reason he should recognise Starscream, but at least him and Bumblebee actually react to the Enemy Death Jet... Jazz just sort of sits there in the hope Prime will turn up and bail out his arse. In fact, I bet the real reason Prime's late to the battle is nothing to do with cut scenes of butchering Barricade with a single finger, but more to do with hanging back in the hope something terminal happens to Jazz...). Basically, if one of them had to die, it was good that it was Jazz as there wasn't much to him beyond a somewhat embarrassing speech pattern.

Quote:
His attitude towards what they allowed to happen (and were allowing to continue to happen) with Bumblebee was more inline with my attitude.
You mean the bit where he just sits there and watches the poor little bastard crawl around looking for his legs? Not that up for the fight when the opponents aren't a few suits in SUVs, was he?

Oh, I know, I'm awful...

Old 2007-12-07, 11:14 PM   #15
Brimstone
Unicron

Houston, TX
Default Re: Pedantic taking out of context ahoy!

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
You mean the bit where he just sits there and watches the poor little bastard crawl around looking for his legs? Not that up for the fight when the opponents aren't a few suits in SUVs, was he?
Actually, I forgot about that part (Ratchet does it too).

What I was thinking about though was how he and Ratchet take on Brawl...and then he goes one on one with Megatron.

It's unfortunate that what was most likely a bugetry choice (the Ratchet-and-Jazz-don't-help-Bumblebee-or-Ironhide scene) ends up causing such a dichotomy in his character. There were certainly better ways to go about doing that scene.

Old 2007-12-08, 02:46 AM   #16
LORDMEGAMUSPRIME

NEW YORK

Personally Jazz Should Stay Dead I Mean What Are They Gonna Do Bring Him Back And Give Him The Target Exclusive G1 Paint Scheme. If They Do Bring Darrius Back He Should Be Either Blaster, Springer or Blitzwing

LORDMEGAMUSPRIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-08, 05:17 AM   #17
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

Quote:
Originally posted by LORDMEGAMUSPRIME
Personally Jazz Should Stay Dead I Mean What Are They Gonna Do Bring Him Back And Give Him The Target Exclusive G1 Paint Scheme.
Probably not. They've all ready sold that toy. Though, doing him up in the Stepper/Ricochet scheme might be interesting . . . maybe a slight remolding to sweeten the deal, a bit.

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-08, 09:52 AM   #18
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile Re: Re: Pedantic taking out of context ahoy!

Quote:
Actually, I forgot about that part (Ratchet does it too).
BUT RATCHET DOESN'T SAY "WHAT'S CRACKIN', LITTLE BITCHES?"! HE'S ALLOWED TO DO STUFF LIKE THAT!!!

But yeh, as medic, it is perhaps a little more glaring that Ratchet doesn't react either.

Quote:
What I was thinking about though was how he and Ratchet take on Brawl Devastator...and then he goes one on one with Megatron.
Hmmm, personally, I read the scene as Jazz being jumped by Megatron, firing as at attempt at self defence, being knocked out and then captured. But yeh, his little moment with Devastator was pretty cool. And superficial though it was, he does score big points for the synchronised skid/spin with Prime when the Autobots latch on to the Bumblebee/SpecOps convoy

Quote:
It's unfortunate that what was most likely a bugetry choice (the Ratchet-and-Jazz-don't-help-Bumblebee-or-Ironhide scene) ends up causing such a dichotomy in his character. There were certainly better ways to go about doing that scene.
IMO it could have been edited around easily... just don't show him having to be backed up by Sam (it honestly took me a couple of views to take in it was Jazz and not some following motorist, the bit was so silly), not show Jazz or Ratchet at all for a few seconds, and just have them speeding back in (as they do) for Devastator. I mean, it's not ideal, but IMO it's more plausible to think they scattered and just happened to pick a really good moment to regroup than that the pair of them just sat there through the whole exchange.

Old 2007-12-08, 10:09 AM   #19
Springer007
Truth-bearer

Fort Smith, Arkansas

I have to agree with the majority here. Jazz's character, if any was truly present in the movie, was a big disappointment. I generally think the entire character was an afterthought by Bay. I think they should bring in any of the fore-mentioned character choices that mr. Eddy Winslow (sorry I would rather use the Family Matters screen name) as a choice for the person to voice. I won't say that the guy didn't remind me of Scatman Cruthers, but it isn't the same without him since he really did invent the hip character in the cartoons. I just hope they don't kill the "black" robot (as mentioned in VG cats comics on their website) so quickly the next go around. I even will dare say I dread the next film because who knows how Bay might butcher it or not learn the lessons from the last movie.

note from the author:

I know I was a big supporter of the film at one time, but watching it so many times didn't help it really. Too many nitpicks I have acquired, and wish a real science fiction director would take over. One of which who is willing to listen to fans, or at least find good writers over-all!

Springer007 is offline   Reply With Quote