• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Website Stuff

Old 2008-11-10, 10:01 PM   #1
toyworks
Eventual Combination!

noojerzee
Question Aftermarket ("unofficial") toys checklist?

With the all the independent companies out there currently making not-quite-offical TF toys, would it be worthwhile to make a checklist for them?

I was just cruising BBTS for examples of companies and products, and there's a LOT of them:

Impossible Toys: Quint figures, Sparkplug & spike, energon cubes, exosuit spike & daniel, nightbird, animated human figures

Unicron.com: golden disk reader, unicron display

Fansproject: BT convoy uprade, classics City & Shadow Commander trailers, (and werent they working on a Classics Optimus trailer?)

BestToys: Ironhide & ratchet heads

JustIToys: MP optimus trailer, MP Megatron accessories, WST Dinobots, (and i think i remember reading about upcoming WST megatron accessories & Shockwave?)

TFC Toys: MP Rollar, MP SS/SW coronation sets, movie prime swords, allspark cubes

... and i'm sure i missed some.

Conversely, is there any reason we would NOT want to post such a list? It wouldnt be promoting illegal toys, since none of the aftermarkets above really fall into the catagory of bootlegs. Or do they?

toyworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 10:16 PM   #2
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

I think the biggest problem would be a) defining what's a bootleg and what's not, and b) compiling a thorough list of the things.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 10:30 PM   #3
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Things like MP Prime trailers and WST Dinobots are basically bootlegs, even if they're not strictly identical moulds and are of good quality...

It might be interesting to do a photo page of semi-commercial fan projects? Pic, year first sighted and any other relevant details?

Anyone with lots of time feel like it?

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-11, 06:47 PM   #4
toyworks
Eventual Combination!

noojerzee

hmmm... well, i think a big qualifier for "non-bootleg" could be if the product was made with the specific intent to compliment/complete/improve an official TF release (in the case of accessories), or to continue/create a series that was felt to be lacking (in the case of figures), either due to cancellation of a line (like WST), or more obscure toys deemed not profitable enough to be developed by HasTak (like the Quints).

Size of production runs could also be a factor, as most small semi-legit companies dont crank out countless product, probably due to overhead/development/production costs. Conversely, things like the mass-produced, find-them-in-every-dollar-store micro-gestalt teams (that sometimes get labeled as "WST" toys), can get grouped neatly with all the other mini-size/giant-size/repaint/no-name/mix-n-match bootlegs. (dont get me wrong, i love them too). = )

Quality of the item would definitly be a must, but as you say Denyer, that in itself is not necessarily a defining trait. I think presentation of the product is also important, that it is represented by a reputible (to some degree) company that promotes their creations (with a website and presence on the TF boards), instead of being "nameless oversea company". Most of the aftermarkets get high marks for packaging as well. The MP Op/Megs accessory boxes fit in perfectly with the "main" line; the WST Dino boxes look just as good as the originals (IMO).

Soooooo... i guess i already have a list going of sorts, so I'll try to fill it out a bit (not that i have lots of time, mind you ). If anyone can think of stuff besides whats mentioned above, post it here.

Old 2008-11-11, 06:59 PM   #5
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

TBH, if you're up for writing a list, it seems a fair rule of thumb that you go by your own definition... Would "Entirely new moulds based on existing Transformers characters" cover everything?

The thing about being produced by a company specifically for fandom consumption is also a good criterion - maybe 'Not Avaliable in the Shops'?

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 01:38 AM   #6
poyguimogul
Life is.. So unpredictable..

The mini-apple.

exclusive 3rd party merchandise ( unliscensed)

"Transformers : Underground"

Yeah I like that~!

poyguimogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-14, 04:11 PM   #7
toyworks
Eventual Combination!

noojerzee

Work is progressing on the list. Not surprisingly, its turned into a large, lumbering monster, and is making my head hurt.

This may be a dumb question, but is TFclub.com the "parent" company of TFC Toys? (TFC = TF Club? or is that too obvious?) I can't seem to track down an official site for TFC Toys (although i may be missing it if its 100% in Japanese), but TFclub.com has coverage of the toys splashed all over their site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poyguimogul View Post
"Transformers : Underground"
hmmm... kinda catchy!