• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2010-01-30, 01:18 AM   #21
Bluecatcinema
Dinobot

The Private Universe has posted a promotional image for the upcoming UK Toyfair, which features some interesting info about the PCCs:
http://www.theprivateuniverse.co.uk/...articleid=4798

Bluecatcinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 01:33 AM   #22
glazios
Occasional Cage-rattler

Rhondda Cynon Taff, S.Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecatcinema View Post
The Private Universe has posted a promotional image for the upcoming UK Toyfair, which features some interesting info about the PCCs:
http://www.theprivateuniverse.co.uk/...articleid=4798
...Link's not working. Could you post the relevant info?

glazios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 08:02 AM   #23
burnitall
Triple Changer

Washington
Default Here's a link to the article at tfw2005

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...nal-ad-169081/

burnitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 12:43 PM   #24
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Hmmm... a movieverse Seaspray? Yet another figure based on the military vehicles seen in the movie (those tank-ferrying hovercrafts, in this case). Alongside the likes of Landmine, Dune Runner, Deep Desert Brawl (ROTF) and Stratosphere, this is getting overkill.

I mean, they didn't even do a proper transforming Scrapper, and they waste time with these? Also, Reedman and Alice haven't been acknowledged in any way in the toyline. Not even a human alliance toy.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 12:49 PM   #25
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

On the other hand, all we need now is a big exploding pyramid and a Human Alliance figure of that hick who goes "Two-two coverin' fahr!" and bang, that RotF playset I was after.

Nah, the lack of Scrapper does piss me off considering Hasbro are doing shit like every Scout that isn't Ransack (seriously, him aside the entire size class is a write-off), Evac, Stratosphere... We're not talking complaining about recolours or anything here, they can spaff out as much shit as they like along the lines of Swerve and Armorhide; but when a decent, well-designed on-screen TF is getting sidelined for crap that presumably still costs money to design?

Actually, I doubt Stratosphere cost much to design at all. "What are we going to do for feet?"/"**** it, we'll just use the front half of the aircraft".

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 01:19 PM   #26
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Smile

Quote:
Nah, the lack of Scrapper does piss me off considering Hasbro are doing shit like every Scout that isn't Ransack (seriously, him aside the entire size class is a write-off), Evac, Stratosphere... We're not talking complaining about recolours or anything here, they can spaff out as much shit as they like along the lines of Swerve and Armorhide; but when a decent, well-designed on-screen TF is getting sidelined for crap that presumably still costs money to design?
Yeah. That's what exactly I've been trying to say, but you put it better than I did.

Well designed character models which probably took lots of time to render and whatnot get sidelined for something utterly random. I could almost forgive the likes of Ransack or Breakaway or Springer or Depth Charge, who were based on character models designed for the movie. But to ignore several characters who appeared on screen for several scenes, and instead release something utterly random is rather silly. New molds also cost money, don't they? I mean, utterly random stuff like Lockdown and Mindwipe...

EDIT: Damn, Seaspray is a voyager. Along with Mindwipe, Stratosphere and Bludgeon (the last one could be forgiven because he looks good enough) that clogs up the Voyager class slots, doesn't it?

Heh, and another Bruticus.

Last edited by Blackjack; 2010-01-30 at 01:31 PM.
Old 2010-01-30, 06:34 PM   #27
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

They do mention interchangeability in that bit. Could the line be reintroducing the idea of combiners that can swap limbs ala the old Scramble City style?

If so, I'm hoping for something better in robot mode then the old limbs.

Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 08:18 PM   #28
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
Well designed character models which probably took lots of time to render and whatnot get sidelined for something utterly random. I could almost forgive the likes of Ransack or Breakaway or Springer or Depth Charge, who were based on character models designed for the movie. But to ignore several characters who appeared on screen for several scenes, and instead release something utterly random is rather silly. New molds also cost money, don't they? I mean, utterly random stuff like Lockdown and Mindwipe...
Do you really think that anyone other than fanboys even knows who Scrapper is? Other than being a part of Devastator (which a deluxe or voyager toy wouldn't do), he did nothing in the movie and IIRC didn't even get his name mentioned on-screen. He's no more of a character than a random nobody like Depth Charge or Dune Runner, and I can't blame Hasbro for not wanting to clog the shelves with another giant construction vehicle when the other ones out there aren't exactly flying off the shelves. At least someone like Mindwipe or Bludgeon or Seaspray stands out a bit from the construction vehicles and m'eh-tastic modern sports cars that make up 75% of the line so far...

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 11:42 PM   #29
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Do you really think that anyone other than fanboys even knows who Scrapper is? Other than being a part of Devastator (which a deluxe or voyager toy wouldn't do), he did nothing in the movie and IIRC didn't even get his name mentioned on-screen. He's no more of a character than a random nobody like Depth Charge or Dune Runner, and I can't blame Hasbro for not wanting to clog the shelves with another giant construction vehicle when the other ones out there aren't exactly flying off the shelves. At least someone like Mindwipe or Bludgeon or Seaspray stands out a bit from the construction vehicles and m'eh-tastic modern sports cars that make up 75% of the line so far...
I know the local Target/Walmarts here are hesitant to put put new boxes of product. Their computers are telling them they've got a full display of ROTF Voyagers. Sadly it's all Demolisher, Mixmaster/Stratosphere out there and they aint moving.

Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 01:48 AM   #30
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY

I have to agree that, despite the choices for some of the toys that were actually made, more construction vehicles would have been pretty daft. Especially so considering how little screen time Scrapper actually got anyway. The four recognizable ones got normal-sized toys.

What I don't understand is the big Devastator. I get that, at that size, it was unfeasible for each part to be its own beast because of the weight of the combined mode. But they didn't have to make it so big. A smaller toy that could have had individual robot modes would have also cost less and sold better anyway. Making the thing so big and expensive more or less meant Hasbro shot themselves in both feet from the beginning.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 02:00 AM   #31
Notabot
Lutheran

Lowden, IA

It seems to me like there's always at least one "There's no way this will sell, and there's no repaint value, but let's do it anyway" kind of toy per line. Usually it's something bigger than leader class. I'd be curious to see the numbers on how production cost vs. sales worked out for things like Devastator, Cybertron Supreme Starscream, and such.

And, on topic, anyone else getting almost a pretender feel to these? With the name being "Power Core", I'm half expecting the vehicle to have a spot for the minicon to sort of stand in and use the robot as a shell of sorts.

Notabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 03:31 AM   #32
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
I have to agree that, despite the choices for some of the toys that were actually made, more construction vehicles would have been pretty daft. Especially so considering how little screen time Scrapper actually got anyway. The four recognizable ones got normal-sized toys.
True, both you and Warcry make good points, but still... I want my Scrapper.

Quote:
What I don't understand is the big Devastator. I get that, at that size, it was unfeasible for each part to be its own beast because of the weight of the combined mode. But they didn't have to make it so big. A smaller toy that could have had individual robot modes would have also cost less and sold better anyway. Making the thing so big and expensive more or less meant Hasbro shot themselves in both feet from the beginning.
Yup. They're beginning to knock off the price of Devastator, aren't they? If they've made something along the lines of Energon Deluxe or Scout sized limbs with, say, Scavenger being a Voyager, it would've worked much better.

Old 2010-01-31, 05:21 AM   #33
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Do you really think that anyone other than fanboys even knows who Scrapper is? Other than being a part of Devastator (which a deluxe or voyager toy wouldn't do), he did nothing in the movie and IIRC didn't even get his name mentioned on-screen.
Not even the fanboys know who Reverb/Knock-Out are. Scalpel, Mixmaster, Long Haul and c**ting Ejector all got proper toys (obviously with Ejector I'm stretching the word "proper" to extend and cover "a piece of shit") despite not being named onscreen. There have been toys made of NEST dune buggies.

Quote:
He's no more of a character than a random nobody like Depth Charge or Dune Runner, and I can't blame Hasbro for not wanting to clog the shelves with another giant construction vehicle when the other ones out there aren't exactly flying off the shelves.
Who said giant? Deluxe or even Scout class would have been something - the latter would have added some relevance to possibly the shitest Transformers assortment of all time.

Quote:
At least someone like Mindwipe or Bludgeon or Seaspray stands out a bit from the construction vehicles and m'eh-tastic modern sports cars that make up 75% of the line so far...
Yeh, because the line was dangerously low on jets and tanks... I make it four Construction vehicles, plus the Scrapper Drone figure that might sort of count, plus Devastator. Military hardware makes up a big chunk of the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
But they didn't have to make it so big.
I dunno, the thing you take away from Devastator is that he's big. Big toy makes some sort of sense there... It's not like Nightscream or Cheetor where it's been done completely at random.

Scrapper had a workable design already done. Instead Hasbro commission shit like Stratosphere, Dirge, Dead End, Evac, Dune Runner (Landmine! Slightly smaller! Excellent!)... Would a proper Scrapper have really been that mental? Really?

Old 2010-01-31, 10:00 PM   #34
Clay

Murray, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
I dunno, the thing you take away from Devastator is that he's big. Big toy makes some sort of sense there... It's not like Nightscream or Cheetor where it's been done completely at random.
Well no, but making the thing so big as to drive its cost to $100/100GBP is absurd as well. If it weren't for fans posting pictures online to show that they have the thing, I wouldn't know of any evidence that the thing has sold at all before it started to go on clearance.

Quote:
Scrapper had a workable design already done. Instead Hasbro commission shit like Stratosphere, Dirge, Dead End, Evac, Dune Runner (Landmine! Slightly smaller! Excellent!)... Would a proper Scrapper have really been that mental? Really?
No defense for Stratosphere, but again I think the snub came from there already being multiple construction vehicles. Cars aside, they seem to want to vary the line a bit more from the first movie.

Old 2010-01-31, 10:32 PM   #35
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Construction vehicles comes in at four (Rampage/Demolishor/Mixmaster/Long Haul), ignoring Legends and the Supreme.

Planes come in at seven (Dirge, Stratosphere, Ransack, Skystalker, Breakaway, Mindwipe, Jetfire), plus recolours like Thrust and Starscream, plus the upcoming Leader Starscream. Plus maybe Springer depending on your definition of plane (we could bundle in helicopters as well). A bit distorted considering there are precisely two aircraft characters in the film.

Scrapper barely being in the film is a red herring, what with 6-8 of those (depending on how you're counting) not appearing at all. And Scrapper's not a big hitter, no, but are any of those non-film characters? Nope, not at all. And Hasbro can't be that bothered with construction vehicles clogging up the shelves, what with the Rampage that looks like Rampage and the Demolishor that looks like Demolishor pencilled in for future release.

Hasbro presumably have some reason for sinking money into these new moulds (which generally look terrible), but it really doesn't seem to be based on screentime, character obscurity or adding variety to the line.

Re: the Supreme, I agree that it's complete commercial suicide, I won't argue there at all. Broadly on the Constructicons it just seems amazing they couldn't work out a way to do decent sized fully transforming Constructicons which could then be sold seperately at different price points, considering the quality of engineering and design seen elsewhere on the line. They'd even get away with some simplification with that thrown in (though only Mixmaster and Rampage are particularly complex by Movie standards - the latter especially needlessly so; Mixmaster would probably be a lot simpler if it wasn't for the abortive artillery mode too).

The big problem is that the Paramount/ILM bods are simply much better at designing robots than the HasTak engineers, something proved by how few of the offscreen figures stack up well against the majority of the onscreen ones... The best route seems to be the film designers come up with a robot and HasTak have their best stab at it. When HasTak have to come up with the whole thing from scratch...

Old 2010-02-01, 12:14 AM   #36
Clay

Murray, KY

Quote:
Construction vehicles comes in at four (Rampage/Demolishor/Mixmaster/Long Haul), ignoring Legends and the Supreme.

Planes come in at seven (Dirge, Stratosphere, Ransack, Skystalker, Breakaway, Mindwipe, Jetfire), plus recolours like Thrust and Starscream, plus the upcoming Leader Starscream. Plus maybe Springer depending on your definition of plane (we could bundle in helicopters as well). A bit distorted considering there are precisely two aircraft characters in the film.
Are there that many? I guess I hadn't properly counted. I dunno, maybe planes just sell better than tractors.

As far as Devastator goes, the Legends version works really well for a blueprint. All they would really need to do is increase its size by 200% or so and add proper elbows and details and whatnot, and it would've been right on the mark.

Old 2010-02-01, 12:28 AM   #37
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
That's fair enough, but Hasbro probably wouldn't ignore those size classes, or the miscellaneous Fast Action Battlers, RPMs, Robot Heroes and other stuff they've done of the Constructicons. Add in the Rampage and Demolishor redecos (and maybe redecos of the other two later on down the line) and we're talking about a lot of Constructicon merchandise.

Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised that any of the individual Constructicons got their own toys while the supreme-class Devastator is out there.

Quote:
Airplanes and helicopters always make up a big slice of any given line, though. If I'm counting right 11 out of the 30 main-line Universe '08 toys were aircraft (14 out of 47 if we count the Legends), and if you take a peek at any of the G1 catalogues you'll find a lot of aircraft on offer in any given year. Airplanes/helicopters are probably second only to cars as the most common vehicle alt-modes, so it's probably unrealistic to expect to get as many (or more) construction vehicles in any given line.

Quote:
Scrapper barely being in the film is a red herring
I totally agree, actually. I only brought it up because Blackjack implied that 15 seconds of screen time automatically entitled Scrapper to more consideration, than, say, Trenchmouth or Sonar, when IMO they're all equally nobodies.

Quote:
The big problem is that the Paramount/ILM bods are simply much better at designing robots than the HasTak engineers, something proved by how few of the offscreen figures stack up well against the majority of the onscreen ones... The best route seems to be the film designers come up with a robot and HasTak have their best stab at it. When HasTak have to come up with the whole thing from scratch...
I have to disagree with you there -- I think most of the on-screen characters end up looking terrible in toy form because the CGI models are just too complicated to translate properly into plastic. The handful that they got right are really cool, but that doesn't excuse the ones that fail spectacularly. A lot of the off-screen toys do suck, but IMO the fail rate isn't quite as high as it is for the on-screen guys.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 05:31 AM   #38
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Well, if we do count Legends, RPMs and other wank it actually de-emphasizes the construction vehicles even more - am I right in thinking that in the West Legeneds Devastator is a single release, i.e. just one toy? There've been more releases of Sideswipe at the Legends bracket than there have been of the entirre Constructicon team. There were, what, three Construction vehicle RPMs. Was Long Haul the only Constructicon FAB? The main reason I didn't list all this rubbish was simply to save space and because I don't think most of it should exist, but if you factor it in, the conclusion that the line wasn't exactly being overwhelmed with construction vehicles is even more obvious.

Old 2010-02-01, 01:06 PM   #39
borg72
Less than meets the eye

Cleveland

maybe scrapper was just a wee bit similar to rampage to warrant a seperate mold. and yes, repaints blah, but they arent anywhere near as expensive as a freshly designed mold, so you really can't compare the two in terms of production decisions.

nao? kthxbai

borg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 01:50 PM   #40
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg72 View Post
maybe scrapper was just a wee bit similar to rampage to warrant a seperate mold. and yes, repaints blah, but they arent anywhere near as expensive as a freshly designed mold, so you really can't compare the two in terms of production decisions.
http://tfarchive.com/community/showp...3&postcount=18

Well, they're both yellow... Apart from Rampage ending up red, of course. Beyond that similarities are minimal - wheels instead of tracks, scoop instead of blade, different number of legs, etc. This is a line that put out two silver sportscars at the same price point, I think in the same wave, with about four letters' difference in the names.

As for repaints, obviously they're cheaper, which is why I've been largely ignoring them - but there have been brand new superfluous moulds at every price point which would cost just as much (probably more, actually, as they don't have the start point of the CG model). The repaints listed are only mentioned in relation to variety on the shelves.